LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga. – The Covenant College Baseball Team (3-3) earned a pair of wins on Saturday to take a series sweep of Emory & Henry College (0-3). The Scots won the twin-billing of seven-inning games by scores of 8-7 and 6-1.
GAME ONE – Covenant 8, Emory & Henry 7 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Covenant 6, Emory & Henry 1 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Lookout Mountain, Georgia – Covenant Baseball Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-3, 0-0 ODAC); Covenant (3-3, 0-0 USA South)
- After Covenant got on the board with a run in the bottom of the second, Emory & Henry took a 2-1 lead in the third on a double to left field by sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.).
- The Scots scored two runs in both the third and fourth innings to go back ahead, 5-2.
- Three unearned runs in the sixth by Covenant pushed the score to 8-2.
- Emory & Henry plated five runners in the seventh as both sophomore second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) had a RBI single to left field. The rally would come up just short as the Wasps would fall, 8-7.
- Covenant's Drew Bradley earned the win allowing two runs on five hits and three strikeouts in six innings pitched. Taylor Bloye picked up the save.
- Senior right-hander Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on seven hits with two strikeouts in four innings. The Wasps gave up five unearned runs in the contest.
- The Scots opened the scoring with a run in the bottom of the first and added three runs in the fifth for a 4-0 advantage.
- Emory & Henry pushed a runner across the plate on a groundout by sophomore catcher Connor Stevenson (Stephens City, Va.) in the sixth to make the score 4-1.
- Two runs in the bottom of the sixth by Covenant capped the scoring for the final 6-1 score.
- Zack Kyzer got the victory for the Scots pitching five innings of three-hit scoreless ball with five strikeouts.
- Senior Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) took the loss, allowing four runs on six hits in four innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) led the Wasps with three hits on the day, including a double, while Sexton had a pair of base knocks, a pair of walk and two RBI.
- Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) and senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) each added two hits.
Covenant Individual Leaders
- Trenton Nobles had three hits and scored three runs on the afternoon with a triple and two RBI.
- Devin Cerrato and Luke Harvey both had two hits and two runs scored while Caleb Bloye drove in three runs.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Berry College next weekend in a three-game series.
- The Wasps and Vikings will play a seven-inning doubleheader on Saturday at noon and will cap the series with a single game Sunday at 1:00 p.m.