MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Berry College Baseball Team (4-3) earned a pair of wins on Saturday over Emory & Henry College (0-5). The Vikings won the twin-billing of seven-inning games by scores of 9-1 and 5-2.
GAME ONE – Berry 9, Emory & Henry 1 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Berry 5, Emory & Henry 2 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia – William R. Bowdoin Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-5, 0-0 ODAC); Berry (4-3, 0-0 SAA)
- Berry got things going with two runs in the bottom of the second and pushed its margin to 6-0 thanks to a four-run third. Zach Guzi had RBI singles in both innings for the Vikings.
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the fourth when junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) drove in sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) with a sacrifice fly.
- BC added three in the sixth for the final 9-1 margin. A two-run triple by Devin Skelton highlighted the frame.
- Ben Coker picked up the win for Berry, striking out six and allowing just one unearned run in five innings of work.
- Senior right-hander Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) took the loss, allowing two earned runs on 10 hits in five innings. The Wasps gave up four unearned runs in the contest.
- The Vikings put a run on the board in the bottom of the first and made the score 2-0 with a run in the fifth.
- Berry increased its lead to 5-0 in the sixth as Tyler Calvert drove in a pair on a single to left field.
- Emory & Henry avoided the shutout, scoring twice in the top of the seventh. Sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) and sophomore Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) each had RBI base hits in the frame but the Wasps would get no closer than 5-2 as a double play ended the inning with the bases loaded.
- Trey Rampy got the win, pitching six innings of scoreless ball with two hits and four strikeouts. Wiliam Gibbons earned the save.
- Senior Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on six hits in six innings.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- French and junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) each had a pair of hits while French added a RBI.
- Forster had a RBI in his only plate appearance of the day while junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) added a hit and a run.
- Senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) was hit by pitch twice and drew a walk to go along with a stolen base.
Berry Individual Leaders
- Skelton finished the day with four hits, two runs and three RBI while Guzi drove in a pair and scored once on three hits.
- Kris Patel and Austin Haight both had two hits and scored two runs as Patel drove in a run.
- Emory & Henry will complete the weekend series against Berry with a nine-inning game on Sunday.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.