EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (1-6) pounded out 17 hits on the afternoon as it defeated Johnson University (0-8) by a 13-5 score Friday afternoon at Porterfield/DeVault Field in the Wasps 2017 home opener.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 13, Johnson 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-6, 0-0 ODAC); Johnson (0-8)
How It Happened
- E&H got on the board with a run in the bottom of the first and Johnson answered in the top of the third on a solo home run to right field by Max McCoig.
- The Wasps went back up 3-1 in the bottom of the third when sophomore right fielder Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) tripled to centerfield plating a pair of runs.
- Leading 4-1 in the fifth, Emory & Henry broke things open with five runs on five hits. A two-run double to left field by sophomore designated hitter Andrew Francisco (Abingdon, Va.) highlighted the frame as the Wasps took a 9-1 lead.
- Down by a 10-1 score in the seventh, Johnson made its attempt at getting back into the game by scoring four. Two runs came across on a single by McCoig.
- Emory & Henry scored twice in the seventh and a last run in the eighth for the 13-5 final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Felty led the way with a three-for-four performance at the plate with three runs and two RBI. Francisco and sophomore catcher Kody McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) each had three hits, two RBI and a run scored.
- Junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) put up two hits and two RBI while junior shortstop C.J. Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) scored two runs and drove in a pair.
- Sophomore centerfielder Lukas Hart (Abingdon, Va.) contributed two hits and two runs while sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) went for a pair of hits, a run and a RBI.
- Senior right-hander Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) earned the win, scattering one run on five hits across five innings pitched. Freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) got the save, pitching the final four innings of the contest.
Johnson Individual Leaders
- McCoig provided the spark to the Royals' offense, going two-for-five with two runs and two RBI.
- Caleb Lee and Luke Shepherd each had two hits while Lee added a run and a RBI.
- Bailey Musick took the loss, allowing nine runs on 11 hits in 4.2 innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will conclude its three-game series against Johnson on Saturday with a pair of seven-inning games.
- First pitch for game one is set for noon.