EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (2-7) split a pair of games against Johnson University (1-9) Saturday afternoon at home. The Royals claimed a 9-6 win in game one but the Wasps' 7-6 walk-off victory in the rubber game gave the series to E&H.
GAME ONE – Johnson 9, Emory & Henry 6 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Johnson 6 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-7, 0-0 ODAC); Johnson (1-9)
- Johnson got out to a 4-0 lead through three and a half innings played. Timothy Howard, Max McCoig and Chase Burke each hit solo home runs to propel the Royals to the advantage.
- The Wasps closed the gap to 4-3 in the bottom of the fourth as junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) got things started with a double to left field gap.
- A run by JU in the fifth made the score 5-3 but E&H took the lead, 6-5 with a trio of runs in the bottom half of the inning. Smith added another RBI base hit while sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) had a run-scoring double down the left field line.
- In the top of the sixth, McCoig tagged a two-run double to retake the lead for Johnson, 7-6, and two more runs capped the scoring for the 9-6 victory.
- Thomas Williams picked up the win, pitching the final 2.1 innings in no-hit fashion.
- Wasp sophomore Zach Shepherd (Christiansburg, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on three hits in relief.
- Johnson put two runs on the board in the top of the first on a home run by Caleb Lee. The Royals extended their lead to 3-0 with a run in the third.
- Emory & Henry got started in the bottom half of the frame as a single by sophomore shortstop Andrew Francisco (Abingdon, Va.) generated a run. A sacrifice fly by junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) in the fifth drew the score to 3-2.
- A two-run double by Johnson's Dustin Goodwyn in the top of the sixth made it a 5-2 game.
- The Wasps got a run back in the bottom half of the sixth and a run by the Royals in the top of the seventh made it a 6-3 contest.
- Emory & Henry put together its offensive outburst in the bottom of the seventh to earn the win. After one run came home to make the score 6-4, junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) hit a two-out fly ball but the Royals' centerfielder was unable to keep it in his glove as two runs scored to tie the game.
- On the next at bat, sophomore left fielder Lukas Hart (Abingdon, Va.) singled through the left side to earn the walk-off victory.
- Sophomore Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) picked up the win while sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) threw effectively for four innings in his first start of the year with five strikeouts.
- Sam Killion took the loss for Johnson, allowing four unearned runs on five hits in 1.1 innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Smith went four-for-six with two doubles, two runs and two RBI in the series.
- Macek had a pair of base knocks and scored two runs while redshirt freshman Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) added two hits and scored a run.
- Hart had a hit, two runs and a RBI while Sexton contributed a double, a run and a RBI.
Johnson Individual Leaders
- Chandler Viscardis had four hits, three runs and a triple while Timothy Howard added four hits, a run and two RBI.
- Lee had three hits, four runs and three RBI while McCoig registered two runs on two hits and three RBI.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Maryville (Tenn.) College on Wednesday for a single non-conference game.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Scots will be at 3:00 p.m.