EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (4-7) earned its first doubleheader sweep of the year Saturday afternoon with a pair of victories over Alfred State College (0-5) at home. The Wasps took game one by a 5-0 score and held off a Pioneer rally in game two for 7-4 victory.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 5, Alfred State 0 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Alfred State 4 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-7, 0-0 ODAC); Alfred State (0-5, 0-0 AMCC)
- Emory & Henry got out to a 2-0 lead after two, scoring single runs in both innings. Sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) and junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) each had RBI base hits.
- The Wasps hung a pair of runs on the board in the fifth for a 4-0 lead as junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) and sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) plated runs with doubles.
- E&H added an insurance run in the sixth to make the final score 5-0.
- Sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) pitched a gem, allowing just one hit and striking out six in six-plus innings of work. Freshman Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) finished things out on the hill.
- Jake Remington suffered the loss for the Pioneers, allowing three runs on five hits with three walks in four innings pitched.
- The Wasps started things off in the first as Sexton hit a sacrifice fly to left field. The Pioneers tied the contest at one apiece in the second on a fielder's choice groundout.
- In the bottom of the second, Emory & Henry put up five runs to make the score 6-1. Bryant had a two-run double down the left field line as the Wasps did all their damage with two outs.
- Alfred State clawed its way back into the game in the top of the fifth with three runs. Cullen Franz hit a two-run homer to highlight the frame.
- Emory & Henry pushed its lead back to three runs with a score in the sixth to make the final margin 7-4.
- Senior right-hander Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) picked up the win, scattering four runs on nine hits with two strikeouts over five innings. Freshman Alex Laws (Hudson, Va.) pitched the final two innings in shutout fashion, earning his first career save.
- Nick Mahoney took the loss, allowing five runs on five hits in just 1.2 innings.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) went three-for-four on the day with a trio of stolen bases while Smith added three hits, three runs and a pair of RBI.
- Bryant and Sexton each had two hits and three RBI as Bryant put up two doubles.
- Sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) added three runs on two hits, including a double.
Alfred State Individual Leaders
- Franz led the Pioneers with four hits on the afternoon including his two-run homer in game two.
- Thomas Shofi put up two doubles and scored a run while Austin Baker and Robert Cardona each had a hit, a run and a RBI.
- Emory & Henry will host Alfred State for another pair of seven-inning games on Sunday.
- First pitch for game one is at noon, with game two to follow approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.