EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (6-7) made it five straight wins and six of its last seven on Sunday as it earned a doubleheader sweep of Alfred State College (0-7) at home. The Wasps earned their wins by scores of 10-1 and 7-1 as they win the weekend series, 4-0, over the Pioneers.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 10, Alfred State 1 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Alfred State 1 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-7, 0-0 ODAC); Alfred State (0-7, 0-0 AMCC)
- Emory & Henry got out to a 2-0 lead after the bottom of the second as junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) plated a pair with a double.
- The Wasps added two runs in the third, highlighted by a solo home run by sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.). A single run in the fourth made the score 5-0 in favor of E&H.
- ASC got on the board in the fifth thanks to a single by Rafael Perozo.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Emory & Henry broke the game open with five runs. Straw had another RBI base hit while junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) drove in two with a single to left field.
- Senior Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) picked up the complete-game victory, scattering one run and four hits with five strikeouts.
- Brady Sass took the loss for Alfred State, allowing five runs on five hits in 4.1 innings of work.
- Emory & Henry put two runs up in the bottom of the first as Straw tagged his second home run for the day.
- The Pioneers halved the lead, 2-1, in the top of the second thanks to a solo shot to left by Dan Woodward.
- Straw kept the Wasps' offense in gear with a two-run double in the third. E&H would lead 6-1 after three.
- Emory & Henry got a final insurance run in the fourth as Smith plated one with a single through the right side, 7-1.
- Freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) picked up the win, scattering one run on five hits across five innings pitched, striking out four. Sophomore Kyle Creasy (South Chesterfield, Va.) stuck out a pair in two innings of relief.
- Bobby Papalouizos suffered the loss, allowing seven runs on nine hits in four innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Straw led the way offensively with four runs on four hits with two home runs, a double and six RBI.
- Smith had three hits and two runs, driving in three while senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) and junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) added three runs on two hits.
- Sophomores Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) and Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) both had two runs on two hits.
Alfred State Individual Leaders
- Woodward led the way with two hits including a home run while Perozo added two hits and a RBI.
- Jesse Swan and Austin Baker each had a pair of base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Ferrum College on Wednesday afternoon for a non-conference matchup with the Panthers.
- First pitch will be at 4:00 p.m.