FERRUM, Va. – The Ferrum College Baseball Team (6-8) needed to go into extra innings but picked up a 6-5 walk-off win over visiting Emory & Henry College (6-8) Wednesday in non-conference competition. The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Wasps, the longest since they won six in a row between April 11 and April 21 during the 1998 season.
FINAL SCORE – Ferrum 6, Emory & Henry 5 (10 innings)
LOCATION – Ferrum, Virginia – Panther Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-8, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (6-8, 1-2 USA South)
How It Happened
- Ferrum got on board in the bottom of the first and added a pair of runs in the second for a 3-0 lead. A single to left field by Kyle Anstice plated the first run and set up a sacrifice fly by Drew Calohan for the second-inning scores.
- Emory & Henry plated single runs in the third, fourth and fifth frames to tie things up. A leadoff triple to center field by senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) highlighted the fifth.
- The Panthers went back ahead 4-3 in the bottom of the fifth, but E&H tied the game again, 4-all in the seventh with a single to left field by sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- The bottom of the seventh saw FC go back up by a run, however E&H made it another tie in the eighth as sophomore right fielder Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) was plated by sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.).
- Ferrum loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth with two outs but was unable to push a run across, forcing extra innings.
- The Wasps went down in order in the 10th and Ferrum's winning run came in the bottom of the frame on a wild pitch for the final 6-5 score.
- Jared Talley picked up the win for the Panthers, pitching the final two innings in perfect form with four strikeouts.
- Freshman Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) suffered the loss for E&H, allowing just one run on three hits with four strikeouts in 2.2 innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Felty led the way, going three-for-five with a run while Jeffries had two hits and scored twice.
- Straw, French and sophomore catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) each had a hit and a RBI.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Ty Comer went three-for-five with a run and a RBI while Anstice was three-for-five with two runs scored.
- Dominick Claxton, Grey Sherfey and Christiaan Sowers each had a hit and a run for the Panthers.
- Emory & Henry will play its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference series of the season on Saturday when it travels to face No. 8 Randolph-Macon College in a doubleheader.
- The Yellow Jackets' ranking comes from Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's preseason poll.