ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 8 Randolph-Macon College Baseball Team (11-4, 2-0 ODAC) picked up a pair of wins over visiting Emory & Henry College (6-10, 0-2 ODAC) Saturday to begin Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The Yellow Jackets, who are ranked No. 8 in NCAA Division III by Collegiate Baseball Magazine, claimed their doubleheader sweep by scores of 13-2 and 9-2.
GAME ONE – No. 8 Randolph-Macon 13, Emory & Henry 2
GAME TWO – No. 8 Randolph-Macon 9, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia – Estes Park
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-10, 0-2 ODAC); No. 8 Randolph-Macon (11-4, 2-0 ODAC)
- R-MC opened up a 2-0 lead after one but a single up the middle in the top of the second by E&H sophomore catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) drew the score to 2-1.
- The Yellow Jackets answered with three runs in the bottom half of the second highlighted by a two-run single by Cole Migliorini to push their advantage to 5-1.
- Two runs in the third and three more in the fifth made the score 10-1 in favor of Randolph-Macon as Stuart Brown plated a pair with his fifth-inning single.
- A double down the left field line in the sixth by Rick Spiers and a single run in the seventh gave R-MC a 13-1 advantage.
- Emory & Henry scored a run in the eighth on a double by junior first baseman Daniel Huff (Rougemont, N.C.) to make the final score 13-2.
- Cody Thompson picked up the win for the Yellow Jackets, allowing just one runs on four hits with five strikeouts in five innings pitched. Nick Roth earned a four-inning save, striking out three.
- Senior right-hander Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) took the loss for E&H, allowing four earned runs on seven hits.
- The Wasps got started early, scoring a pair of runs in the top of the first inning. An outfield error after a single by senior designated hitter Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) allowed junior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) to score from first. E&H got its other run on a groundout by sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.).
- Randolph-Macon answered with three runs in the bottom of the first to take a lead it would not give up. A triple to right center in the third by Brown extended the lead to 5-2.
- The Jackets scored two in the fourth and single runs in the fifth and eighth for the final 9-2 score.
- Michael Zubovich scattered one earned run and three hits across six innings of work with two strikeouts. Spiers pitched three shutout innings of relief to earn the save, striking out a pair.
- Sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing eight runs on nine hits with five strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Horne led the Wasps with four hits and a run scored while Sexton scored twice on his two base knocks and drove in a run.
- Jeffries finished the day with a run and two hits while Huff's double drove in a run.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Brown went five-for-eight on the day with two extra base hits, five RBI and two runs scored while Spiers had three hits, three runs and three RBI.
- Ryan Duphorn added six runs on four hits while Migliorini had four runs ono three hits with three RBI.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for four games at The Ripken Experience across Tuesday and Wednesday.
- The Wasps will play a seven-inning doubleheader beginning at noon on Tuesday against Albertus Magnus College.