MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (9-11, 0-2 ODAC) completed it Spring Break trip with a doubleheader sweep of Alfred State College (1-10) Tuesday at The Ripken Experience. The Wasps won game one by an 8-6 score and earned an 8-3 eight-inning victory in the final game.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 8, Alfred State 6
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Alfred State 3 (eight innings)
LOCATION – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina – "Ebbets Field" at The Ripken Experience
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-11, 0-2 ODAC); Alfred State (1-10)
- The Wasps jumped out a 3-0 lead after the first inning as sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) and junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) knocked run-scoring doubles.
- E&H got two more runs in the second for a 5-0 lead as Sexton hit another RBI double and sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) tripled to drive in a run.
- Alfred State got on the board with two runs in the top of the third as Rafael Perozo plated a pair on a single up the middle.
- Emory & Henry got two more runs in the third and a single run in the fifth to push its advantage to 8-2.
- The Pioneers began to turn on their offense late in the game, scoring once in the sixth and three times in the top of the seventh to get within two runs, 8-6. David Zuber had a pinch-hit single to highlight the seventh, but the Wasps held on for the win.
- Freshman Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) earned the win, scattering two runs on five hits over five innings pitched with three strikeouts. Freshman Ryan Williams (Virginia Beach, Va.) picked up the save, closing out the game.
- ASC's Lucas Cornell allowed seven runs on seven hits with three strikeouts in three innings pitched on his way to the loss.
- Alfred State, playing as the home team, scored the first three runs of the game. Thomas Shofi hit a RBI single in the second to get things started and a wild pitch in the second allowed Cullen to come home.
- Emory & Henry struck in the fourth as Smith singled up the middle, making the score 3-1. Straw had a sacrifice fly and Sexton hit a run-scoring single in the fifth to tie the game, 3-3.
- The Wasps left the bases loaded in the top of the seventh, but the momentum gained got cashed in in the eighth. E&H scored the go-ahead run as Straw was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Sexton and freshman catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) each tagged two-run singles to make the final score 8-5.
- Freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) earned the win in relief, pitching three innings of shutout baseball with three strikeouts and just one hit.
- Tsvi Weil allowed five runs on five hits in 1.2 innings pitched as he suffered the loss.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sexton went five-for-seven on the day with two doubles, scored two runs and drove in five.
- Straw scored four runs on four hits with three RBI while Smith had three hits and two RBI.
- Sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) had two runs on two hits while sophomores Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) and Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) added two hits and a run each with Horne tacking on two RBI.
Alfred State Individual Leaders
- Perozo went five-for-eight with three runs and two RBI while Franz contributed four hits and two runs.
- Shofi and Pedro Mora both tallied a pair of base hits while Austin Baker scored twice on one hit and two walks.
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference action on Saturday when it visits Hampden-Sydney College.
- First pitch in the doubleheader between the Wasps and Tigers is set for noon.