EMORY, Va. – The Ferrum College Baseball Team (12-11) scored eight runs in the final three innings en route to a 13-7 victory over Emory & Henry College (10-13) Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Ferrum 13, Emory & Henry 7
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-13, 1-3 ODAC); Ferrum (12-11, 3-6 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board with a run in the bottom of the second. Sophomore catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) singled to right field to drive in sophomore right fielder Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) from second base.
- The Panthers answered with three in the top of the third to go up 3-1. Jake Martin plated two with a two-out single, highlighting the frame.
- Ferrum pushed its advantage to 5-1 thanks to a two-run single by Kyle Anstice in the fifth.
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Wasps got a run on a triple down the right field line by sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) to get within three, 5-2.
- A four-run seventh by Ferrum made the score 9-2 but Emory & Henry responded in the bottom half of the frame with five runs to draw the score to 9-7. French provided the spark with bases-clearing triple early in the frame.
- The Panthers scored once in the eighth and three runs in the ninth to add insurance for the final 13-7 score.
- Brandon Turner allowed one earned run on six hits in six innings pitched to pick up the win. Jacob Holland got the save, allowing just one hit in two innings of work.
- Senior Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing seven runs on five hits in 4.2 innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) led the Wasps with three hits, two runs and a RBI.
- French had two hits and drove in four runs while sophomore second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) added two hits.
- McIlwraith scored on run on one hit with a pair of RBI.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Anstice scored twice on three hits with four RBI while Jo Stickney added three hits and two runs.
- Ty Comer scored three times while Dominick Claxton tacked on two runs and two hits.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Eastern Mennonite University in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Royals is set for noon.