EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (12-13, 3-3 ODAC) earned a doubleheader sweep over Eastern Mennonite University (10-12, 1-7 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The Wasps won the series by scores of 8-7 and 8-3.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 8, Eastern Mennonite 7
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Eastern Mennonite 3
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-13, 3-3 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (10-12, 1-7 ODAC)
- The Royals got things started in the second as Kyle Salladay hit a solo home run to left field. The Wasps responded in the bottom half of the frame with a solo home run by junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.).
- EMU went up 2-1 in the third on a home run by Joe Hall.
- Emory & Henry scored six runs in the fourth for a 7-2 advantage. Sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) hit a three-run homer to highlight the inning.
- In the top of the sixth, Eastern Mennonite plated four runs to close the gap to 7-6. Damon Frazier had a solo home run in the inning while Salladay and Griffin Stanley each knocked two-run doubles.
- EMU tied things up at 7-all in the eighth on a single up the middle by Dean Lowery.
- Down to their final three outs before extra innings, the Wasps were able to manufacture the game-winning run. With two outs and a runner on second, Straw singled to right field for the walk-off win.
- Freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) earned the win in relief, allowing one run on five hits in 3.2 innings of work.
- John Dudley suffered the loss for the Royals, allowing one unearned run in 2.2 innings on the hill.
- Eastern Mennonite got on the board with two runs in the top of the first as Frazier hit his second homer of the day.
- The Wasps answered with a run in the bottom half of the frame on a single up the middle by sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.).
- After scoring a pair in the second to take a 3-2 advantage, the Wasps pushed the margin to 4-2 after three thanks to a single up the middle by Smith.
- The top of the third inning might have been the highlight of the afternoon. With two runners on and no outs, sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) snagged a line drive, stepped on second base and threw over to awaiting junior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) for a triple play. It marks the first time in recorded history that the Wasps have achieved the rare fielding feat.
- A double by Lowery drew the margin to 4-3 for EMU in the fifth, but E&H added four runs in the bottom half of the inning to lead 8-3. Smith and sophomore catcher Connor Stevenson (Stephens City, Va.) each had run-scoring doubles while sophomore centerfielder Lukas Hart (Abingdon, Va.) drove in a pair with a double to left-center.
- Sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) earned the win, scattering three runs on six hits with seven strikeouts over seven innings pitched.
- EMU's Tyler Campbell took the loss, allowing seven runs on nine hits with four strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Smith finished the series with two runs on five hits and three RBI while Hart went four-for-six on the afternoon with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Straw picked up three base hits, drove in four and scored twice while sophomore designated hitter Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) scored three times on a pair of base knocks.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Frazier led the Royals with four hits, including two home runs, three RBI and two runs scored while Salladay scored four times on three hits with three RBI.
- Lowery and Ryan Hedrick each had three hits on the afternoon while Lowery drove in two and Hedrick scored once.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Salem, Virginia on Tuesday to face off against Roanoke College in a single ODAC game.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Maroons is set for 7:00 p.m.