SALEM, Va. – The No. 21 Roanoke College Baseball Team (18-7, 4-4 ODAC) picked up a 8-2 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (12-14, 3-4 ODAC) Tuesday night in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference game. The Maroons are ranked nationally by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) and D3baseball.com.
FINAL SCORE – No. 21 Roanoke 8, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Lewis-Gale Field at Salem Memorial Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-14, 3-4 ODAC); Roanoke (18-7, 4-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- RC got on the board with four runs in the bottom of the third. Dean Hermanson and Craig Kiley notched back-to-back RBI singles to highlight the frame.
- The Maroons pushed the lead to 5-0 in the fifth thanks to Drew Mikula's single through the left side and went up 6-0 after seven on a RBI base knock by Sean Guida.
- Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout by scoring a pair of runs in the eighth. Redshirt freshman Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) led the inning off with a pinch-hit double and was driven in two batters later by junior centerfielder Josh Macek's (Concord, N.C.) groundout. The Wasps got their other run in the frame when a throwing error by the shortstop allowed sophomore Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) to score from third base.
- Roanoke responded with two runs in the bottom of the eighth to make the final score 8-2. Will Decker tagged a two-run double with one out to make the difference.
- Eli Sumpter picked up the complete-game win, scattering two runs on six hits with four strikeouts for the Maroons.
- E&H senior Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on six hits in three innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) went three-for-four to lead the Wasps' offense.
- Hockensmith, French and Macek each added base knocks in the game while Macek drove in a run.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Hermanson had a game-high four hits and scored two runs with a RBI while Decker went three-for-five with three RBI.
- Will Black scored three runs on one hit while Mikula had a pair of RBI and a base knock.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday for an Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader against Lynchburg College.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Hornets is set for noon.