EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (14-14, 5-4 ODAC) picked up its second-straight Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader sweep Saturday, taking two games from Lynchburg College (13-12, 4-7 ODAC). The Wasps won by scores of 8-5 and 10-4 to complete their first sweep of the Hornets since 2006.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 8, Lynchburg 5
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 10, Lynchburg 4
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (14-14, 5-4 ODAC); Lynchburg (13-12, 4-7 ODAC)
- The Hornets scored a pair of runs in the top of the first to get things started.
- After five scoreless innings, Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom of the sixth. Sophomore third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) stroked a solo home run to left field to make the score 2-1.
- Lynchburg responded in the top of the seventh to go up 4-1 on a double to left field by Will Harris.
- The Wasps closed the gap to 4-2 in the bottom of the seventh and mounted their comeback in the eighth, scoring six runs to go up 8-4. Junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) provided three RBI during the span including two on a single to centerfield in the eighth.
- LC got a final run in the top of the ninth to make the score 8-5 as Matt Ward singled through the left side.
- Sophomore Kyle Creasy (South Chesterfield, Va.) earned the win in relief, while freshman Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) picked up the save. Freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) pitched six innings, allowing just one earned run on four hits with four strikeouts.
- Zack Englemann suffered the loss, allowing six runs on 14 hits with three strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- After three and a half innings of scoreless baseball to lead off the game, Emory & Henry got on the board with two runs in the bottom of the fourth.
- LC made the score 2-1 in the fifth but the E&H went up 5-1 thanks to three runs in the bottom half of the inning. Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) had a two-run double to left-center in the inning.
- The Wasps pushed their advantage to 8-1 in the sixth thanks to a solo home run by Macek and a two-run blast by Straw.
- In the seventh, Emory & Henry tacked on two runs to make the score 10-1 as Macek put up another RBI single.
- Lynchburg scored twice in the eighth with the first home run coming on a round-tripper by Will Hylton.
- E&H sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) picked up the win, allowing two runs on four hits with five strikeouts in seven innings.
- David Goulding suffered the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits in five innings of work.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Macek had five hits and six RBI on the afternoon, scoring twice while Straw added four hits, four runs and four RBI with his three extra-base hits.
- Sophomore designated hitter Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) also had four hits while sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) had three hits and scored a run.
- Smith and senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) had two hits and two runs each while Smith tacked on three RBI and Jeffries drove in a pair.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Ward went four-for-eight on the day with three RBI and a run scored while Nathan Sharp scored for times on three hits.
- Harris and Thomas Powell had three hits each while Harris drove in three and Hylton tacked on four runs off two hits.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Tuesday when its hosts Maryville (Tenn.) College in its final-non conference game of the year.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Scots is set for 3:00 p.m.