EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (15-14, 5-4 ODAC) scored six runs in the bottom of the eighth to pull away from Maryville (Tenn.) College (18-16, 8-7 USA South) for a 9-2 victory Tuesday afternoon in a non-conference contest. With the victory, the Wasps tie the E&H record for wins in a season with 11 games remaining.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 9, Maryville (Tenn.) 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield-DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-14, 5-4 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) (18-16, 8-7 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board with a pair of runs in the bottom of the second, executing with their small-ball skills. Both sophomore first baseman Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) and freshman catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) brought in runs with bunts.
- The Wasps pushed their lead to 3-0 in the seventh on a single down the left field line by senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.).
- In the top of the eighth, Maryville got on the board. Andrew Henry hit a sacrifice fly to shallow left field allowing a run to score from third, and a throwing error later in the play brought in a second run to make the score 3-2.
- E&H responded with six runs in the bottom of the frame to put the game out of reach. A pair of bases loaded walks and a hit by pitch extended the lead to 6-2 with no outs. Two batters later with the bases still loaded, Jeffries roped a triple down the right field line, driving in three to give the Wasps the 9-2 advantage they would retain for the victory.
- Freshman Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.) earned the win in his first career start, scattering two hits and three walks over seven-innings of shutout ball with three strikeouts. Freshman Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) picked up the two-inning save, striking out three.
- Maryville's Ricky Ward suffered the loss, despite allowing one earned run on three hits with two strikeouts in five innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Jeffries finished with two hits and four RBI while sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) added two hits and scored twice.
- Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) had two runs while Forster drove in a pair, walked twice and scored once.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Hayden Hollingsworth notched a pair of base hits and scored a run while McKenzie Jackson drew a pair of walks and scored the Scots' other run.
- Evan Ezell and Eric Hart each added base knocks.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday, returning to Old Dominion Athletic Conference action with a single game against Guilford College.
- First pitch for the contest between the Wasps and Quakers will be at 2:00 p.m., in attempts to beat out storms in the forecast for Wednesday evening.