EMORY, Va. – The Guilford College Baseball Team (15-14, 2-8 ODAC) scored nine runs between the fifth and seventh innings en route to a 13-6 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (15-15, 5-5 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 13, Emory & Henry 6
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield-DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-15, 5-5 ODAC); Guilford (15-14, 2-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Guilford started off with a run in the top of the first but E&H answered to tie the game, 1-1 in the second.
- Two runs by the Quakers in the third made the score 3-1, however the Wasps got a trio of RBI singles in the bottom half of the frame to lead, 4-3.
- Single runs for each team in the fourth made the score 5-4 in favor of E&H. GC put up four in the fifth, highlighted by a home run by Andrew Brann and a two-run single by Rocco Wilcox, to take an 8-5 advantage.
- A pair of runs in the sixth and three in the seventh extended the Quakers' lead to 13-5. Trevor Denton contributed a two-run double to highlight the span.
- Emory & Henry scored the final run in the bottom of the eighth as sophomore third baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) doubled down the left field line to drive in sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.).
- Logan Jones earned the win in relief for Guilford, pitching the final seven innings of the game. He allowed just one earned run on six hits with two strikeouts.
- Wasp senior Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) suffered the loss in relief, allowing four runs on three hits.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) had two runs on two hits to lead E&H while Horne had two hits, a run and a RBI.
- Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) drove in a run on two hits and sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) scored once on his pair of base knocks.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Wilcox finished the game three-for-four with three RBI and two runs while Brann also had three hits, scoring once and driving in a pair.
- Josh Shepherd had three runs on two hits while Michael Pinkston scored twice on his two singles. Denton added a run on two hits with two RBI.
- Emory & Henry will host No. 1 Shenandoah University in an ODAC doubleheader on Saturday afternoon.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Hornets is set for noon.