EMORY, Va. – The No. 1 Shenandoah University Baseball Team (24-2, 9-2 ODAC) picked up a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference victories over Emory & Henry College (15-17, 5-7 ODAC) Saturday. The Hornets took game one by a 9-4 score and completed the sweep with a 10-2 win in game two. SU is the top-ranked team in NCAA Division III for a second week in a row as voted on by D3baseball.com.
GAME ONE – No. 1 Shenandoah 9, Emory & Henry 4
GAME TWO – No. 1 Shenandoah 10, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-17, 5-7 ODAC); No. 1 Shenandoah (24-2, 9-2 ODAC)
- The Hornets jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first, highlighted by a double by Jake Loew.
- Emory & Henry cut the lead to 3-1 in the second on a single by junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.).
- SU added a run in the third and two more in the fourth as Loew plated a pair with a single to right center. The Hornets made the score 7-1 in the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Michael Cruz.
- The Wasps got a run in the bottom of the eight to make it 7-2 but a pair of solo home runs in the ninth by Lowe and Neil Dutton pushed the margin to 9-2.
- Emory & Henry scored twice in the bottom half of the ninth for the final 9-4 tally. Sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) and sophomore third baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) both had RBI-base hits in the frame.
- Gerard DePhillips earned the win, scattering two unearned runs on five hits with four strikeouts over eight innings of work.
- E&H freshman Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) suffered the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits in 3.2 innings.
- SU started the game off with two runs in the first as Nick Goode drove in a pair with a single to centerfield.
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom half of the frame when senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) drove in Horne with a groundout.
- The Wasps tied the contest 2-2 in the fourth after a single by Horne got by the centerfielder and allowed Macek to score from first.
- Luke Nussman put Shenandoah ahead, 4-2, after six with a single up the middle.
- In the top of the ninth, the Hornets added six insurance runs for the final 10-2 score. Goode and Denzel Johnson both had two-run base hits.
- Colin Morse earned the win for SU, permitting just two runs on eight hits with six strikeouts in eight innings pitched.
- Wasp sophomore Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) took the loss, allowing four runs on 11 hits with six strikeouts in seven innings.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Horne had four hits, a run and a RBI to lead the E&H offense while sophomore Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) put up three this and two runs.
- Sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) tacked on three hits while Macek scored twice on two hits with a RBI. French and Jeffries both had a pair of base knocks and a RBI.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Dan Cameron went six-for-eight on the day with four runs scored and a RBI while Goode had six hits, five RBI and two runs scored.
- Nussman plated three runs with his six hits, scoring two times and Tristan Baker added five hits and three runs. Loew drove in four on three hits.
- Emory & Henry will have nearly a week to prepare for its next contests as the Wasps will visit the Eagles of Bridgewater College on Friday, April 14 for an ODAC doubleheader.
- First pitch for game one is scheduled for noon.