BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College Baseball Team (13-19, 6-10 ODAC) earned a pair of victories in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play over Emory & Henry College (15-19, 5-9 ODAC) Friday afternoon. The Eagles picked up the sweep by scores of 9-7 and 10-8, rallying from deficits in both games.
GAME ONE – Bridgewater 9, Emory & Henry 7
GAME TWO – Bridgewater 10, Emory & Henry 8
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia – Bridgewater Field at the Jopson Athletic Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-19, 5-9 ODAC); Bridgewater (13-19, 6-10 ODAC)
- BC got on the board in the bottom of the second inning with three runs. Brandon Poole started the inning off with a single to centerfield and the Eagles added two more on an error.
- Emory & Henry put five runs across in the fourth to take a 5-3 lead. Sophomore first baseman Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) drove in a pair with a double down the left field line to highlight the frame.
- The Wasps gained a 7-3 lead in the sixth thanks to a RBI groundout by senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) and a wild pitch.
- Bridgewater's Chris King plated two in the bottom half of the frame with a double to center, closing the gap to 7-5.
- The Eagles scored four in the bottom of the eighth to get the go-ahead runs for the victory. J.T. Creed had a two-RBI double midway through the inning to put BC over the hump.
- Ryan Mason earned the win in relief for Bridgewater, allowing no runs on two hits in 2.2 innings of work. Jordan Showalter picked up the save, pitching the ninth inning for the Eagles.
- Senior Nick Lesnak (Blountville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on three hits in relief.
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first on a two-run blast by sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.).
- The Wasps added three more runs in the second thanks in part to a two-run single by sophomore second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.).
- A single up the middle by sophomore shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) in the third gave E&H a 6-0 advantage but BC answered with its first run of the game in the bottom of the inning after Kenner Berry reached on an error.
- Sexton put the Wasps up 7-1 in the fourth after a single to left, however the Eagles responded in the bottom of the frame on a double by Creed.
- Bridgewater began to mount a comeback in the sixth, as Matthew LaPrade knocked a three-run home run to draw the score to 7-4.
- Emory & Henry scored its final run of the game on a solo homer by Sexton, his second of the contest, to lead 8-5.
- Five runs in the bottom of the eighth by the Eagles gave them their second come-from-behind win of the day. Chris King had a two-run single to left-center while Jake Bailey added a RBI single in the inning.
- Kyle Jones got the win in relief for Bridgewater, allowing one run on one hit. Johnny LaVoie picked up the save, striking out one in one inning of work.
- Wasp sophomore Kyle Creasy (South Chesterfield, Va.) suffered the loss in relief, allowing two runs on two hits.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sexton led the Wasps with a 6-for-10 performance at the plate with two home runs, three runs and four RBI.
- Junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) had a run on four hits while French and sophomore catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) notched two runs on two hits with a RBI each.
- Horne ended the day with a run on two hits and three runs batted in while Jeffries stole three bases on the day.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- LaPrade had four hits on the afternoon, scoring three runs and driving in four while Garrison Wright and Jacob Talley each notched three runs on three hits.
- Creed finished the day with three hits, three runs and three RBI while King and Bailey each scored twice on two hits
- Emory & Henry will host Roanoke College in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference single game on Wednesday, April 19 at 3:00 p.m.