EMORY, Va. – The Roanoke College Baseball Team (24-13, 8-9 ODAC) picked up a 3-0 win over Emory & Henry College (17-20, 7-10 ODAC) Tuesday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest. The Maroons stranded 12 baserunners, but kept the Wasps off the board in the victory.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 3, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Porterfield-DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-20, 7-10 ODAC); Roanoke (24-13, 8-9 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Roanoke got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first thanks to a sacrifice fly by Will Decker and a single through the left side by Craig Kiley.
- The contest moved along quickly with the only other scoring coming in the top of the sixth.
- Collier Donald gave the Maroons an insurance run with his single down the left field line which plated Sean Guida.
- John Ruhlman earned the win for RC, scattering two hits and three strikeouts over five innings of work. Steven Loney got the save, closing out the game for the Maroons.
- E&H freshman Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on 11 hits in seven innings pitched.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.), junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) and freshman designated hitter Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) each had base hits in the contest.
- Sophomore catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) drew a pair of walks.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Decker went two-for-four with a RBI while Craig Kiley also had a pair of base hits and a RBI.
- Guida scored two of the Maroons' three runs, reaching on a base hit and two walks.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Guilford College on Wednesday for a 3:00 p.m., ODAC contest.