GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Guilford College Baseball Team (21-16, 8-10 ODAC) scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth for a 4-3 victory over visiting Emory & Henry College (17-21, 7-11 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. With the win, the Quakers sweep the season series over the Wasps.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 4, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – Edgar McBane Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-21, 7-11 ODAC); Guilford (21-16, 8-10 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Guilford got on the board with two runs in the bottom of the fourth. Andrew Brann started things off with a RBI single through the left side while Michael Pinkston drove in another run with a fielder's choice.
- The Wasps responded in the fifth with two runs on a single by junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) and a double down the left field line by sophomore designated hitter Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.).
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Quakers added a run to take a 3-2 lead thanks to a solo home run by Trevor Denton.
- Down to its final three outs in the top of the ninth, E&H tied the game at three runs apiece. Senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) perfectly executed the squeeze play, bringing in Macek from third.
- GC earned the walk-off win when Denton drove in Mitchell Stumpo with a no-out double to left centerfield.
- Logan Jones earned the win in relief for the Quakers, allowing just one run on two hits with two strikeouts in three innings of work.
- Wasp senior Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) suffered the complete-game loss, scattering four runs on eight hits with two strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Horne led the way at the plate, going two-for-three with two walks while Macek scored twice and drove in a run on a hit and a walk.
- Sophomore first baseman Daniel Huff (Rougemont, N.C.) added a hit, a walk and a run.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Denton went three-for-four with two runs scored and two RBI while Rocco Wilcox and Stumpo each had a hit and a run.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the regular season on Saturday when it hosts Washington and Lee University in an ODAC doubleheader at noon.
- The twin-billing will also serve as Senior Day for the Wasps, who will honor their four seniors prior to the start of game one.