GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Guilford College Baseball Team (11-13-1, 2-7 ODAC) pounded out 16 hits as it defeated visiting Emory & Henry College (9-10, 2-8 ODAC) by a 12-5 score Wednesday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 12, Emory & Henry 5
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – McBane Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-10, 2-8 ODAC); Guilford (11-13-1, 7-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After four and a half innings of scoreless baseball, the Quakers got on the board with three runs in the fifth highlighted by a two-run single by Rocco Hill. GC pushed the lead to 4-0 in the sixth.
- Emory & Henry scored three times in the seventh with two runs coming on a double to left field by senior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.).
- Guilford scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh to press the lead to 8-3. Mitchell Stumpo plated a pair with a triple to centerfield.
- In the eighth, the Quakers extended the margin to 12-3. Brett Shapcott cleared the bases for three runs with a double.
- Emory & Henry got two runs back in the top of the ninth for the final 12-5 score as junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) plated a pair on a single through the right side.
- Zach Dinkins picked up the win for Guilford, allowing three unearned runs on four hits in 6.2 innings of work.
- Wasp sophomore Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on six hits in five innings.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Shenandoah University on Friday for an ODAC doubleheader.
- The contests were moved to Friday from Saturday to get ahead of cold, rainy weather in the forecast.
- First pitch for game one will be at 2:00 p.m.