PROVIDENCE, N.C. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team competed in its first official Intercollegiate Horse Show Association show on Saturday, placing first out of 11 competing teams. Averett University, the host for the day's event, finished in a tie with E&H for champion honors.
TEAM PLACE – T1st/11 - 43 points
LOCATION – Providence, North Carolina; Averett Equestrian Center
- Senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) and sophomore Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) each won their classes in Open Equitation Over Fences. Martino was also the champion for Open on the Flat.
- In Intermediate on the Flat, sophomore Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) took top honors while Caba-Guil was third.
- Freshman Maddie Bonner (Powhatan, Va.) finished fifth in Intermediate Over Fences competition.
- Henard also took third in Novice Equitation Over Fences while senior Odessa Thacker (Yorktown, Va.) was second.
- E&H got another event win in Novice on the Flat from freshman Bobbie Jo Adsit (Montpelier, Va.) while freshman Katie Maharis (Howard Beach, N.Y.) was second.
- Junior Eli Worth-Jones (Abingdon, Va.) provided the Wasps with a win in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter while junior Galen Reyes (Hixson, Tenn.) was second in Beginner Walk/Trot/Canter.
- Walk/Trot competition provided two third-place finishes for senior Ana-Belen Gomez (Irving, Texas) and sophomore Taylor McMichael (Lexington, Va.).
- As a team, Emory & Henry finished in a tie with Averett for first place with 43 points on the day.
- UNC-Greensboro was third with 32 points.
- Martino led the way individually, taking High-Point Rider of the Day accolades behind his two event wins.
- The Intermont Equestrian IHSA Team will next compete on Saturday, October 1 at Virginia Tech.
- The Wasps' Intercollegiate Dressage Association Team will open the season on Sunday at home. First Level competition begins at 10:00 a.m., with the Upper Training, Lower Training and Introductory Levels to follow.
-photo courtesy of Morgan Sollenberger