BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team finished in a tie for second place at an Intercollegiate Horse Show Association show on Saturday at Virginia Tech. The Wasps won five classes while taking second in five more.
TEAM PLACE – T-2nd/11 - 38 points
LOCATION – Blacksburg, Virginia; Alphin-Stuart Livestock Arena
- Senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) and sophomore Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) each won their classes in Open Equitation Over Fences. Martino took second in Open on the Flat.
- In Intermediate on the Flat, junior Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) took top honors.
- Freshman Madison McKinsey (Waynesboro, Va.) was third in Intermediate Over Fences competition while freshman Maddie Bonner (Powhatan, Va.) placed fourth.
- Freshman Bobbie Jo Adsit (Montpelier, Va.) won her class in Novice Equitation Over Fences while senior Odessa Thacker (Yorktown, Va.) was second.
- E&H got another event win in Novice on the Flat from freshman Cassandra Oliver (Charlotte, Vt.) while Adsit was second.
- Sophomore Annah Prelaz (Asheville, N.C.) was second in Walk/Trot/Canter and senior Hannah Phillips (Virginia Beach, Va.) was fourth.
- Walk/Trot competition provided a second-place finish for senior Ana-Belen Gomez (Irving, Texas) with sophomore Taylor McMichael (Lexington, Va.) taking third.
- Virginia Tech was the team champion for the day with 40 points.
- Emory & Henry finished in a tie with Averett University for second place, scoring 38 points.
- Martino led the way individually, taking High-Point Rider of the Day accolades in a tiebreaker with two other riders.
- Adsit earned Reserve High-Point Rider of the Day honors in just her second collegiate show.
- The Intermont Equestrian IHSA Team will next compete on Saturday, October 15 at Wake Forest University.