HIGH POINT, N.C. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team earned a team champion finish and tied for reserve champion honors at High Point University's Intercollegiate Horse Show Association doubleheader Saturday and Sunday. Over the course of two days, the Wasps earned 18 wins and 10 second-place finishes.
SATURDAY TEAM PLACE – T-2nd/11 - 40 points
SUNDAY TEAM PLACE – 1st/11 - 45 points
LOCATION – High Point, North Carolina; Fox Run Farm
- E&H posted six wins and seven second-place finishes across its 19 rides.
- Senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) won his class in Open Equitation on the Flat and was second in Open Over Fences. Junior Sydney Casady (Harriman, Tenn.) was third in her Open Fences ride.
- Junior Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) won both in Intermediate on the Flat and Novice Over Fences.
- Freshman Madison McKinsey (Waynesboro, Va.) rode a pair of intermediate classes and took second Over Fences and sixth On the Flat. Freshman Katie Maharis (Howard Beach, N.Y.) and freshman Maddie Bonner (Powhatan, Va.) were third and fourth, respectively in Intermediate Over Fences.
- Senior Odessa Thacker (Yorktown, Va.) and freshman Bobbie Jo Adsit (Montpelier, Va.) combined with Henard to make it a clean sweep of firsts in Novice Over Fences.
- Adsit and Bonner were both second in Novice on the Flat while freshman Carley Gunnell (Purcellville, Va.) took fourth.
- Senior Victoria Lustig (Galisteo, N.M.) and sophomore Annah Prelaz (Asheville, N.C.) were second in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter and freshman Cara Brooks (Suwanee, Ga.) placed third.
- Junior Galen Reyes (Hixson, Tenn.) was second in Beginner Walk/Trot/Canter and freshman Kelsey Bergman (Christiansburg, Va.) won her Walk/Trot class.
- Martino took High-Point Rider of the Day honors as the Wasps tied with Virginia Tech for Reserve Team Champion.
- Emory & Henry dominated competition for the win on Sunday as the Wasps saw 12 of their 19 rides result in first-place finishes while another three came in second.
- Martino won Open on the Flat and was second in Open Over Fences while Casady took fifth.
- The Wasps swept the competition in Intermediate Over Fences as McKinsey, Bonner and freshman Kira Boerst (Seymour, Wis.) won their respective classes.
- Intermediate on the Flat competition saw a fourth-place finish for Henard and a sixth for McKinsey.
- Adsit and Thacker both took second in Novice Over Fences while senior Cassie Pierz (Saddle River, N.J.) was fourth.
- The trio of Adsit, sophomore Michaela Glenn (Kingsport, Tenn.) and freshman Emily Trice (Gainesville, Ga.) all won their classes of Novice on the Flat.
- Emory & Henry continued to dominate in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter with Brooks, Prelaz and Lustig all taking first. Reyes won his Beginner Walk/Trot/Canter ride.
- Bergman rounded out the day with a win in Walk/Trot.
- Emory & Henry has completed IHSA competition for the fall semester. The next IHSA show will be a doubleheader hosted by E&H on Saturday, February 4 and Sunday, February 5.
- The IHSA Team will be in action on Saturday, December 3 in the second of four Tournament of Champions Series events. Ohio University will serve as host.