BRISTOL, Va. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team earned first place out of 12 competing teams Saturday in the first of a pair of home shows scheduled for this weekend. The Wasps won eight sections of competition while taking second in six others.
The original results had Emory & Henry as the reserve champion team, but after a disqualification of one of Virginia Tech's riders following competition, the Wasps earned the team championship.
TEAM PLACE – 1st/12 - 43 points
LOCATION – Bristol, Virginia; Emory & Henry College Equestrian Center
- Senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) and sophomore Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) finished first and second, respectively in their classes of Open Equitation on the Flat. Caba-Guil won in Open Over Fences while Martino was sixth. Junior Sydney Casady (Harriman, Tenn.) also competed Over Fences.
- In Intermediate on the Flat, junior Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) took top honors while junior Jane Mikusa (Crystal Lake, Ill.) was fourth.
- Freshman Madison McKinsey (Waynesboro, Va.) won her section of in Intermediate Over Fences competition while Katie Maharis (Howard Beach, N.Y.) placed sixth.
- Junior Eli Worth-Jones (Abingdon, Va.) took first in his section of Novice on the Flat while freshmen Cassandra Oliver (Charlotte, Vt.) and Emily Trice (Gainesville, Ga.) were both second.
- In Novice Equitation Over Fences, senior Odessa Thacker (Yorktown, Va.) and freshman Ashlyn Hawkinson (Parker, Colo.) took top honors for their section while Henard was second.
- Senior Victoria Lustig (Galisteo, N.M.) was second in Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter and sophomore Annah Prelaz (Asheville, N.C.) took fourth. Junior Galen Reyes (Hixson, Tenn.) won his section of Beginner Walk/Trot/Canter.
- In Walk/Trot Equitation, senior Allison Smith (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) was second and sophomore Taylor McMichael (Lexington, Va.) took fourth.
- Additionally, Morgan Sollenberger (Concord, N.C.) won the Alumni on the Flat section and finished third in Alumni Over Fences. She has now qualified for the region championships for Fences.
The Awards (Updated as of Sunday, February 5)
- Emory & Henry was the team champion for the day with 43 points.
- Virginia Tech was the reserve champion with 41 points while Averett University was third (37 pts.) and High Point University (34 pts.) was fourth.
- Claire Arnold of Virginia Tech won High-Point Rider of the Day accolades.
- Henard earned Reserve High-Point Rider of the Day honors for the Wasps.
- The Intermont Equestrian IHSA Team will compete again on Sunday in the second show of its home doubleheader weekend. The first section will begin at 9:00 a.m.
|C.||Emory & Henry