BRISTOL, Va. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team made it three-straight wins in dating back to Sunday, October 23 as they swept their weekend doubleheader with another victory on Sunday. The Wasps won 11 sections of competition while taking second in three others.
- After consultation with the judges following Saturday's competition, one of Virginia Tech's riders was disqualified. As a result, Emory & Henry won the overall show with 43 points while Virginia Tech was reserve champion with 41 points.
TEAM PLACE – 1st/12 - 45 points
LOCATION – Bristol, Virginia; Emory & Henry College Equestrian Center
- Senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) and sophomore Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) both won their sections of Open Equitation on the Flat and Open Over Fences. Junior Sydney Casady (Harriman, Tenn.) was third Over Fences.
- In Intermediate on the Flat, junior Jane Mikusa (Crystal Lake, Ill.) picked up a win while junior Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) claimed fourth.
- Freshman Maddie Bonner (Powhatan, Va.) won her section of Intermediate Over Fences while freshman Kira Boerst (Seymour, Wis.) was fourth.
- Freshmen Carley Gunnell (Purcellville, Va.) and Katie Maharis (Howard Beach, N.Y.) took first in their sections of Novice on the Flat while Bonner was third.
- In Novice Equitation Over Fences, senior Odessa Thacker (Yorktown, Va.) earned another win while Henard was second and Mikusa placed fourth.
- Senior Victoria Lustig (Galisteo, N.M.) won her section of Advanced Walk/Trot/Canter while junior Galen Reyes (Hixson, Tenn.) was second in his first competition in the class. Freshman Cara Brooks (Suwanee, Ga.) claimed third.
- In Walk/Trot Equitation, sophomore Taylor McMichael (Lexington, Va.) won her section while senior Allison Smith (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) was second.
- In Alumni competition, Morgan Sollenberger (Concord, N.C.) won her Over Fences section and took second on the Flat to qualify for regional competition.
- Emory & Henry took the team championship with 45 points while Averett University as reserve champion on 42 points.
- Virginia Tech placed third (36 pts.) while High Point University (32 pts.) was fourth.
- Martino claimed High-Point Rider of the Day honors finishing first in a four-way tiebreaker while Wake Forest's Victoria Latham was named Reserve High-Point Rider of the Day.
- The Intermont Equestrian IHSA Team will travel to Virginia Tech for a doubleheader on the weekend of Saturday, February 18 and Sunday, February 19.
- That pair of shows will signal the end of the regular season for IHSA competition.
|C.||Emory & Henry