LAURINBURG, N.C. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team competed at the Zone 4 Championship on Saturday, hosted by St. Andrews University. The Wasps bring home their first Zone Championship since 2012, earning a team spot at the IHSA National Finals and also qualified a trio of individuals for the national championship show.
TEAM PLACE – 1st/10
LOCATION – Laurinburg, North Carolina; St. Andrews Equestrian Center
- Sophomore Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) won at Open Over Fences with junior Billie Henard (Kingsport, Tenn.) taking fifth in Open on the Flat.
- Adsit was second in Intermediate Equitation on the Flat while freshman Madison McKinsey (Waynesboro, Va.) took fourth Over Fences.
- In Novice Over Fences, freshman Bobbie Jo Adsit (Montpelier, Va.) picked up a win while junior Eli Worth-Jones (Abingdon, Va.) took third in Novice Flat.
- Junior Galen Reyes (Hixson, Tenn.) was second in Walk/Trot/Canter while freshman Kelsey Bergman (Christiansburg, Va.) finished second in Walk/Trot.
- Emory & Henry finished as the Zone 4 Champion with 38 points while Goucher College was the Reserve Champion with 37 points. Both teams will represent the Zone at the National Finals.
- Worth-Jones qualified for the National Finals in Walk/Trot/Canter Equitation while Adsit earned a spot in the championship in Novice Equitation on the Flat.
- Henard competed in Novice Over Fences while sophomore Taylor McMichael (Lexington, Va.) showed in Walk/Trot.
- As the season High-Point Rider for Zone 4 – Region 5, senior Nick Martino (Bel Air, Md.) will compete in the USEF/Cacchione Cup against the other season High-Point riders from across the country.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the IHSA National Finals between Thursday, May 4 and Saturday, May 6.
- The Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky will again serve as the host of this year's finals.