FERRUM, Va. – The Ferrum College Football Team (1-0) scored 24 points in the fourth quarter en route to a come-from-behind, 39-38, victory over Emory & Henry College (0-1) Saturday afternoon in the inaugural Crooked Road Classic.
FINAL SCORE – Ferrum 39, Emory & Henry 38
LOCATION – Ferrum, Va. – W.B. Adams Stadium
RECORDS – Ferrum (1-0, 0-0 USA South); Emory & Henry (0-1, 0-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 14-0 lead after the first quarter on a pair of touchdown runs by sophomore Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.).
- An eight-yard reception by sophomore Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) from junior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.) put the Wasps up 21-0 with 8:32 to go in the opening half.
- Ferrum got on the board on the next drive as Harvey Taylor found Nick Pearce from 21 yards out for a 21-7 halftime score.
- Saxton linked up with sophomore wideout Eric White (Snellville, Ga.) for a three-yard score late in the third to push E&H's advantage back to 21 points (28-7).
- The Panthers began their comeback with a 29-yard touchdown reception by Chris Guy, who also ran the ball in for a two-point conversion.
- Emory & Henry freshman Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.) converted a 39-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter.
- A pair of rushing touchdowns by Brian Mann followed by two-point conversions tied the game up with 1:17 left to play.
- Wasp freshman running back Kendrick Kube (Culpeper, Va.) took the ensuing kickoff 97 yards to put Emory & Henry back in the lead, 38-31, with 60 seconds to play.
- Ferrum put together a five-play, 68-yard drive capped by an 18-yard touchdown reception by Johnny White from Taylor. Taylor then scored what would be the game-winning two-point conversion to give the Panther's their first lead, 39-38,with just seven seconds left on the clock.
- E&H had a chance on the final kick of the game, but was wrapped up by the FC defense to end the contest.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Brian Mann led all rushers with 167 yards and two touchdowns.
- Harvey Taylor went 16-for-28 through the air for 227 yards and three touchdowns.
- Johnny White caught 10 passes for 105 yards and a score while Chris Guy had five catches for 101 yards and a touchdown.
- Billy Higgins had nine tackles and a pass break up while Al Matthews added eight stops and a forced fumble
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Kevin Saxton threw for two touchdowns and 235 yards on 24-for-42 passing. He found eight different receivers on the afternoon.
- Jesse Santiago caught six passes for 86 yards, including an eight-yard touchdown.
- Sam Wagner ran for 46 yards and two scores while junior Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) and Kendrick Kube added 28 and 24 yards on the ground.
- Sophomore defensive back Justin Banks (Coeburn, Va.) led all players with 11 tackles while senior linebacker Rhasheen Williams (Charlotte, N.C.) added 10 stops.
- Sophomore defensive back Zeke Vance (Pounding Mill, Va.) had an interception and three tackles.
A Deeper Look
- Ferrum outgained Emory & Henry 401-346 including a 174-111 lead in rushing yards.
- Emory & Henry converted six-of-16 third downs while Ferrum was just 4-for-15 on third down.
- The Wasps went five-for-five on red zone opportunities, scoring four touchdowns while the Panthers managed just three scores off their red zone chances.
- FC won the turnover battle, 2-1, recovering a pair of fumbles while the Wasps had an interception.
- Emory & Henry was penalized 12 times for 119 yards while Ferrum was caught 11 times for 102 yards.
- Ferrum's victory snapped a nine-game winning streak for Emory & Henry dating back to September 10, 2005.
- The all-time series record between E&H and FC now stands at 22-10 in favor of the Wasps.
- The loss marked the first time since the 2006 season that the Wasps have started the season 0-1.
- Emory & Henry will host Brevard College next Saturday at Fred Selfe Stadium. Kickoff between the Wasps and Tornados is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
-phot courtesy of Dave Grace