EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Football Team (6-4, 5-2 ODAC) made it three-straight winning seasons Saturday with a 34-7 win over Guilford College (4-6, 1-6 ODAC). E&H finishes in a tie for second place in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference this year after being chosen fourth in the preseason coaches' poll.
Prior to the start of the game, Emory & Henry recognized its 11 seniors competing in their final game wearing the blue and gold.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 34, Guilford 7
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-4, 5-2 ODAC); Guilford (4-6, 1-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board at the 8:06 mark of the first quarter when sophomore running back Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.) burst through the line and rumbled 73 yards for a touchdown.
- The Quakers tied things at seven on the ensuing possession as Hunter Causey ran in from six yards out.
- E&H began a 24-point second quarter with a 26-yard touchdown catch by senior wideout A.J. Hampton (Roanoke, Va.) with 12:01 on the clock.
- After Guilford muffed a punt, Emory & Henry took back over and made it a two score game with a six-yard run by junior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.).
- The Wasps extended their lead to 28-7 with 1:19 to go before the break as Hampton hauled in a 35-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Dominic Dunnaville (Roanoke, Va.) and took a 31-7 advantage into the locker room as freshman placekicker Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.) nailed a kick from 32 yards out.
- The only scoring of the second half came at the 6:53 mark of the third quarter, when Seals tacked on a 32-yard boot to push the margin to 34-7. The score capped a 15-play, 67-yard drive which drained 6:27 off the clock.
- GC got inside the E&H 45 yardline just once in the second half, driving all the way down to the eight, but the Wasp defense held strong on fourth down to thwart any chance of a Quaker comeback.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Dunnaville finished the game with 96 rushing yards and added an 8-for-19 performance in the air for 191 yards and two scores.
- Wagner ran the ball 10 times for 93 yards and a score while Rodgers contributed 62 yards and a touchdown, also catching a pass for 31 yards.
- Hampton led the E&H receiving corps with two touchdown catches for 61 yards while freshman Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) had three catches for 56 yards.
- Sophomore defensive back Jaylyn Johnson (Roanoke, Va.) led the Wasps with seven tackles while his younger brother Eric Johnson (Roanoke, Va.) put up six stops in the contest.
- Senior linebacker Josh Compton (Richlands, Va.) and junior defensive back Jae Daniels (Salem, Va.) and each added six tackles while freshman linebacker Harlan Faddis (Atlanta, Ga.) had a pair of sacks for 20 yards lost, a forced fumble and four quarterback hurries.
- Sophomore defensive back Zeke Vance (Pounding Mill, Va.) recovered a pair of fumbles while sophomore defensive tackle Josh Fleenor (Christiansburg, Va.) notched five tackles and a fumble recovery.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Causey ran for 69 yards and the Quakers' only score of the game.
- Joe Ferrick had 107 yards on 13-for-26 passing while Karsten Miller was 8-for-17 for 72 yards before departing the game in the second quarter.
- Tyriek Russell led all players with seven catches, gaining 22 yards while Hez McKinnon tallied 79 yards on four receptions.
- Four different Quaker defenders had eight tackles on the day led by Julian Cuthberson with eight stops, a tackle for loss and an interception. Greg Mello saw three of his tackles go for a loss, totaling 10 yards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry finished the game with 509 yards of total offense compared to 238 by Guilford. The Wasps rushed for 304 yards compared to just 33 by the Quakers as both teams racked up 205 yards through the air.
- E&H forced three turnovers in the contest, with two of GC's fumbles coming on special teams. - E&H posted a 7-for-18 conversion rate on third down and was 1-for-3 on fourth down compared to Guilford's 5-for-19 third down performance.
- Emory & Henry was penalized eight times for 66 yards while Guilford committed seven violations for 55 yards.
- The Wasps finished with 11 tackles for a loss of 58 yards including five sacks for 45 yards while the Quakers managed 10 tackles for a loss and two sacks.
- Emory & Henry wins its first game against Guilford since the 2012 season, snapping a three-game losing streak. The all-time series now sits with the Wasps in the lead, 39-29.
- Over the past five weeks, E&H is +11 in turnover margin. The first five games of the year saw the Wasps at-7 on the turnover battle.
- Emory & Henry has completed its slate of games for the 2016 season.
- The Wasps will now await the announcement of the 2016 All-ODAC Teams which will come later in the month.
-photo courtesy of Dave Grace