NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Football Team (3-6, 1-4 ODAC) opened up a 23-0 halftime lead on its way to a 37-14 win over the Apprentice School (1-8) in non-conference action Saturday. The Wasps snap a four-game losing streak with their victory over the Builders.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 37, The Apprentice School 14
LOCATION – Newport News, Virginia – Apprentice Athletic Facility
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-6, 1-4 ODAC); The Apprentice School (1-8)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board at the 8:56 mark of the first quarter on a 21-yard field goal by sophomore Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.). The Wasps made it a 9-0 contest later in the opening period on a 17-yard touchdown reception by junior tight end Brad Puccio (Murphy, N.C.) from freshman quarterback Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.).
- The second quarter saw E&H add a pair of rushing touchdowns for a 23-0 halftime advantage. Senior Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) ran one in from 36 yards out while freshman Brady Justice (Hurley, Va.) notched a four-yard plunge with 33 seconds to go before the break.
- Coming out of the intermission, The Apprentice School took the first possession of the third quarter and went 85 yards in 15 plays to set up a one-yard touchdown by Ethan Bryce.
- Emory & Henry answered to push the margin to 30-7 on an 11-yard catch by junior wideout Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.).
- In the fourth, Brandon Jones notched a 12-yard touchdown run for the Builders to get within two scores, 30-14.
- The Wasps put the game out of reach, 37-14, with 5:01 to play on a one-yard run by Rodgers for his second score of the game.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Taylor went 13-of-18 through the air for 133 yards and two touchdowns, linking up with seven different receivers on the afternoon.
- Rodgers ran the ball 15 times for 143 yards and two scores while Justice added 57 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries.
- Puccio caught three passes for 37 yards and a touchdown while Santiago had four receptions for 28 yards and a score.
- Freshman defensive back Tyler Redmond (Arden, N.C.) made six tackles and picked off a pass while sophomore linebacker Jake Jessee (Norton, Va.) also had six stops, one tackle for loss and a forced fumble.
- Junior defensive back Carter Harlow (Bristol, Va.) had an interception for 38 yards to go along with three tackles while sophomore defensive lineman Trel Phillips (Ooltewah, Tenn.) recovered a fumble and added two solo stops.
The Apprentice School Individual Leaders
- Terrence Sudberry was 17-for-34 passing for 139 yards but threw a pair of interceptions.
- Jones was the rushing leader with 63 yards on 13 carries and a touchdown while Bryce tacked on 57 yards and a score.
- Eight different players caught passes for the Builders, led by Jordin Burwell with five receptions for 54 yards.
- Tyson Tillar led all players with nine solo tackles while Malek Lyles and John Pope added seven and six stops, respectively.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry piled up 489 yards of total offense including 356 on the ground. It was the most rushing yards in the Curt Newsome era and the most since racking up 409 yards on the ground at Randolph-Macon College in 2001.
- The Wasps averaged 7.0 yards per play and converted six-of-12 third down attempts compared to 4.5 yards per play and nine-for-17 on third down for the Builders.
- E&H scored on five of its seven trips inside the red zone, including four touchdowns.
- Emory & Henry held a 31:36-28:24 lead on time of possession, holding the ball for more than 10 minutes in both the first and fourth quarters.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the 2017 season next Saturday when it visits Guilford College for an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Quakers is set for 1:00 p.m., at the Armfield Athletic Center.