EMORY, Va. - The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (1-0) got its season started with a 83-57 win over Sewanee: The University of the South (0-1) Tuesday evening at the John Rutledge King Center. It marked the first time since the 2013-14 season that the Wasps have won their first game of the year.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 83, Sewanee 57
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Sewanee (0-1, 0-0 SAA)
How It Happened
- After starting the game 4-4 with 16:44 on the clock, the Wasps went on a 19-2 run to push the advantage to 23-6 with 7:50 to go before halftime.
- E&H extended its advantage to 30 (41-11) thanks to a 14-2 run which covered 4:31 and would lead by a 43-15 score at the break.
- Coming out of the break, the Tigers scored nine of the first 14 points to trim the margin to 25 (48-23) but the Wasps fired back with the next 10 to post their largest advantage of the game, 58-23, with 14:06 remaining.
- The two squads would trade buckets through the final 12 minutes of the contest with Sewanee scoring the last eight points of the game to make the score 83-57.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Emory & Henry placed five players in double figures led by freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) with 16 off the bench in his collegiate debut. The rookie also pulled down two rebounds and added three steals two assists.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 15 points and seven rebounds, connecting on a trio of three-pointers in the contest, while senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) went 6-for-10 from the floor to add 13 points, five rebounds and four steals.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) dropped 12 points, three rebounds and two assists while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) tacked on 11 points, three boards and six assists.
Sewanee Individual Leaders
- Jorden Williams led all players with 21 points, connecting on seven buckets from long range and added two rebounds and two assists.
- Adrian Thomas scored 12 points off the bench while Leo Born added seven points and five rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 52.2 percent (35-for-67) for the game, scoring 42 points in the paint compared to a 21-for-56 (37.5%) shooting performance by Sewanee with 22 points in the paint.
- The Wasps held a 42-28 rebounding, including a 14-10 lead on the offensive glass, which translated to a 14-11 lead on second chance points.
- E&H led 22-13 on points off turnovers, forcing Sewanee into 15 errors, and put up a 14-2 advantage on fast-break points.
- Tuesday's contest was the first meeting between the Wasps and Tigers since November 27 of the 2012-13 season. In that contest, Sewanee earned an 87-59 win on its home court.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Lookout Mountain, Georgia this weekend to play two games in the Covenant Classic.
- The Wasps will face the Panthers of LaGrange College on Friday afternoon at 5:30 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass