EMORY, Va. – The Ferrum College Men's Basketball Team (3-3) held off a late rally by Emory & Henry College (4-2) to win by a 77-74 margin Wednesday night in a non-conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Ferrum 77, Emory & Henry 74
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-2, 1-0 ODAC); Ferrum (3-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry started off the first six minutes of the game with a 14-5 run, but 11-straight points by Ferrum put the Panthers up 16-14 two minutes later.
- With the score tied at 25 and 8:42 on the clock, FC went on a 17-4 run to earn its largest lead of the game, 42-29. E&H would score the final eight points of the half to make the score 42-37 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the two squads traded baskets early as the Wasps continued to chip away at the Panthers' lead. Emory & Henry tied things up at 46 with 16:30 to go and again, 52-all, with 13:10 remaining. Ferrum however went on a 12-2 run over the next 3:36 to push its lead back to double digits, 64-54.
- Down by 11 with 7:14 to play, E&H outscored FC 14-5 to get within two (74-72) with 1:33 left. A three-point play by the Panthers made it a two-possession game.
- The Wasps cut it back to three with 54 seconds to go and forced a turnover on the ensuing possession, the final attempt to tie things up was off the mark and the Panthers escaped with a 77-47 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) led all players with 24 points as he went six-for-10 from beyond the arc and added three rebounds and three steals.
- Freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 17 points and four rebounds while sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) added 16 points and seven boards.
- Junior forward Noah Walker (Bristol, Va.) had 10 points off the bench, going five-for-six from the field and added three rebounds while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) had four points and eight rebounds.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Marcus Huff paced the Panthers with 21 points off the bench, hitting four three-pointers and added four rebounds.
- Josh Dudley had 16 points while Rashad Reed and Jordyn Propst notched 10 points apiece.
- D'Andre Mullen tacked on three points, four rebounds and five assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 29-for-67 (43.3%) for the game and went 36.8 percent (7-for-19) from three-point range. Ferrum made 10 three's on the evening and shot 43.5 percent (27-for-62) overall.
- The Panthers made 13-of-18 (72.2%) of their free throw attempts while the Wasps went nine-for-13 (69.2%) from the line.
- The rebounding numbers were identical for each team with 38 total boards and 16 opportunities on the offensive glass. FC led 27-23 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry held a 44-26 advantage on points in the paint while Ferrum edged a 16-14 lead on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will get back on the road this weekend as it travels to face Randolph-Macon College in an ODAC matchup Saturday afternoon. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass