ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Men's Basketball Team (2-4, 1-0 ODAC) used a second half rally to pick up a 75-72 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (4-3, 1-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 75, Emory & Henry 72
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-3, 1-1 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (2-4, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to 14-2 lead at the 15:50 mark of the first half thanks in part to a trio of three-pointers by junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.). The Yellow Jackets then went on a 13-4 run to close the gap to 15-18 four and a half minutes later.
- The two squads traded baskets back and forth to a 31-30 E&H lead before the Wasps put together a 10-2 run to make the score 41-32. Randolph-Macon closed the half by scoring eight of the final 10 points for a 43-40 score at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps went back ahead by seven points, 49-42, with 16:06 on the clock. With Emory & Henry ahead, 55-51, midway through the half, the Yellow Jackets went on a 10-2 run to take their first lead of the game.
- R-MC pushed its advantage to six with 2:06 left to play, but E&H was able to close the gap to 73-72 with 28 seconds remaining. A Yellow Jacket layup with 18 seconds to go pushed the margin back to three and while the Wasps had a pair of looks at a three which would have tied things up in the final 10 seconds, the shots were off the mark, and Randolph-Macon claimed the 75-72 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) notched 17 points, two rebounds, two assists and a steal, going seven-for-13 from the field.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) had 12 points on six-for-11 shooting off the bench and added six rebounds while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) tacked on four points, six rebounds and eight assists.
- Branscomb had 11 points, six rebounds and three assists while junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up 10 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals while.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Korey Turner went eight-for-10 from the field including four-for-four from behind the arc to lead all players with 21 points and five rebounds off the bench.
- Michael Taylor had 18 points and a pair of steals while Daniel Noe put up eight points, six boards and three assists.
- Darryl Williams notched eight points, four rebounds and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 43.8 percent (28-for-64) from the field, connecting on eight three-pointers, seven of which came in the first half.
- Randolph-Macon shot 27-for-57 (47.4%) on the afternoon, hitting 10 threes and going 14-for-27 (51.9%) in the second half.
- E&H held a 28-26 lead on points in the paint and scored 17 points off of 10 R-MC turnovers.
- The Wasps out-rebounded the Yellow Jackets, 38-33, including a 14-10 margin on the offensive glass which they turned into a 12-6 lead on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road for its final game before the fall semester's final exam period on Wednesday.
- The Wasps will visit Knoxville, Tennessee to matchup against Johnson University at 7:00 p.m. Last year, E&H earned a 97-80 win over the Royals at home.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass