KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's basketball Team (5-3) got back on the winning track with a 127-101 non-conference win over Johnson University (3-9) Wednesday evening on the road. It was the final contest for the Wasps prior to the start of the fall exam period.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 127, Johnson 101
LOCATION – Knoxville, Tennessee - Phillips-Welshimer Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-3, 1-1 ODAC); Johnson (3-9)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to an 18-9 lead at the 16:20 mark of the first half thanks in part to a trio of three-pointers by freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.). The Wasps extended their lead to 28-17 four minutes later before a 6-0 run by the Royals trimmed the margin to 28-22.
- E&H continued to build its lead as the half progressed, going up by 20 for the first time with 3:48 to go before the break (56-38). A three-pointer at the buzzer by Johnson closed the gap to 68-53 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the locker room, the Wasps went on a 13-4 run over the first four minutes of the second half to lead by 24 (81-57). The two teams traded small runs over the middle of the period with Johnson cutting the margin to 17 with 5:14 left to play (111-94). E&H finished the game on a 16-7 run, cruising to a 127-101 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- E&H has seven players reach double figures in scoring including all five starters. Molden put up a game-high 28 points, hitting five three-pointers and added two rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 19 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) notched 14 points and 10 assists for a double-double of his own.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 20 points, five rebounds and three assists and junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) had 10 points and eight boards while sophomores Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) and Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) put up 12 and 10 points, respectively off the bench.
Johnson Individual Leaders
- Jacob Blaylock had 20 points to lead the Royals off the bench while Kenny White and Jordan McClendon each put up 16 points with McClendon adding eight rebounds.
- Taylor Gilpin had 14 points, three rebounds and two assists while Gunner St. John tacked on 13 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 62.0 percent for the game (49-for-79), hitting 11 three-pointers (55%), and 18-of-22 free throws (81.8%).
- Johnson was 29-for-64 (45.3%) on its field-goal attempts, also connecting on 11 threes. The Royals went 32-for-39 (82.1%) at the free throw line, taking advantage of 29 fouls by the Wasps.
- Emory & Henry held a 44-27 advantage on rebounding and a 16-10 lead on the offensive glass which translated into 28-11 lead on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry put up a 60-30 advantage on points in the paint and made the most of Johnson's 13 turnovers, scoring 23 points on the ensuing possessions.
- The Wasps also held a 12-4 lead on fast-break points.
- The 127 points scored by Emory & Henry are the most since putting up a school-record 154 in a 154-146, overtime win at Eastern Mennonite on January 27, 2008.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the Puerto Rico Clasico in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday, December 18 and Monday, December 19.
- The Wasps will take on the University of Scranton Royals on December 18 at 4:00 p.m. local time (3:00 p.m. Eastern).
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass