SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – The University of Scranton Men's Basketball Team (7-2) used a 14-5 run midway through the second half to pull away from Emory & Henry College (5-4) Sunday afternoon in the Puerto Rico Clásico. The Royals are receiving votes in the D3hoops.com Top 25 Poll.
FINAL SCORE – Scranton 63, Emory & Henry 51
LOCATION – San Juan, Puerto Rico – Coliseo Roberto Clemente
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-4, 1-1 ODAC); Scranton (7-2, 1-0 Landmark)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry took a 9-4 advantage at the 14:22 mark of the first half as both teams struggled early to find their range from the floor. The Royals tied things at nine, but six-straight by the Wasps made the score 15-9 on a three-point play by junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.).
- Scranton battled back for another tie at 18-all, however Emory & Henry responded with a 7-0 run to lead 25-18 with 7:16 to go before the break. Over the final minutes of the half, the Royals chipped away at the lead and went ahead for the first time, 32-31, with the final bucket of the period.
- Coming out of the locker room, Scranton pushed its advantage to double digits at the 12:10 mark of the half and continued its 14-5 run to lead 61-40 with 5:01 left on the clock.
- Emory & Henry would score 11 of the final 13 points of the game, but the deficit was too much to overcome as the Royals would take the 63-51 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) led all players with 18 points and contributed three rebounds, four steals and two assists.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up 10 points and four boards while Branscomb finished the game with eight points and six rebounds.
- Senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) added six points and three assists and senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) contributed five rebounds, three assists and three steals in his first action since November 26.
Scranton Individual Leaders
- John Vitkus had 14 points on seven-for-10 shooting and 11 rebounds to complete the double-double for the Royals.
- Mitch Cross and Brandon Feinberg contributed 12 and 10 points, respectively off the bench while Feinberg added three rebounds and four assists.
- Ethan Danzig pitched in six points, five rebounds and four assists while Drew Schankweiler had eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 32.8 percent (20-for-61) for the game including an eight-for-26 (30.8%) showing in the second half. The Wasps connected on five three-pointers, all of which were before the break and hit six of just eight (75%) free throw attempts.
- Scranton went 23-for-51 (45.1%) for the game and warmed up its shooting after the intermission (11-for-23; 47.8%). The Royals went 12-for-16 (75%) from the line and hit five shots from beyond the arc
- UofS notched a 41-32 rebounding advantage, but with 12 offensive boards, E&H led 11-8 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry scored 14 points off 14 Scranton turnovers while the Royals managed 15 points off 12 miscues by the Wasps
- Emory & Henry will complete play in the Puerto Rico Clásico on Monday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. Atlantic Standard Time (1:00 p.m. Eastern). The Wasps will take on the Lions of Albright College in that contest.