EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (7-4) ended 2016 on a strong note, defeating Southern Virginia University (2-8) by a 76-57 score at the John Rutledge King Center.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 76, Southern Virginia 57
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-4, 1-1 ODAC); Southern Virginia (2-8, 0-4 CAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 17-4 lead with 11:06 on the clock. The Wasps pushed their advantage to 28-7 4:31 later after three straight layups by senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.).
- The squads traded baskets for the final five minutes of the opening half as E&H took a 42-25 lead into the locker room.
- The Wasps scored six of the first eight points of the second half to push the margin back to 21 but the Knights fought back with a 10-2 run covering the next 1:45 to make the score 50-37 with 14:56 to play. Emory & Henry extended its lead to as much as 26 (69-43) with 4:54 left to play as it cruised to the 76-57 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps placed four players in double figures in scoring led by sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.), who notched game-highs with 17 points and 17 rebounds for the double-double.
- Sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) had 14 points and four rebounds off the bench while Turner and junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) each chipped in 10 points and three rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) added six points, four rebounds and two blocks off the bench.
Southern Virginia Individual Leaders
- Rashay Douglas paced the Knights with 15 points off the bench, going eight-for-eight from the free throw line, and added three assists.
- Cale Thornton had 13 points and two boards while Justin Langford put up seven points and five rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 45.2 percent (33-for-73) for the game but connected on just 3-of-23 (13%) of its three-point attempts. The Wasps went 7-for-10 from the free throw line.
- SVU shot 16-for-45 (35.6%) for the game, and only made two three-pointers of their own. The Knights did considerable damage at the charity stripe, hitting 85.2 percent (23-of-27) of their uncontested attempts.
- Emory & Henry held a 45-24 rebounding advantage including a 20-5 lead on the offensive glass. That translated to a 15-5 lead on second-chance points.
- The Wasps outscored the Knights by a 46-18 margin on points in the paint and led 22-4 on fast-break points.
- E&H forced 20 turnovers, scoring 22 points on their its possessions while Southern Virginia scored 16 points off 15 Wasp miscues.
- Emory & Henry remain at home on Wednesday when it returns to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play against Lynchburg. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.