EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (9-4, 3-1 ODAC) got out to an early advantage and led wire-to-wire for a 91-76 victory over Randolph College (4-9, 1-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 91, Randolph 76
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-4, 3-1 ODAC); Randolph (4-9, 1-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps scored the first bucket of the game and got out to a 20-9 lead at the 12:07 mark of the first half. E&H pushed the margin to as much as 30-14 in the opening 20 minutes before RC timed it to six (33-27) thanks to a 13-3 run covering 3:24.
- Emory & Henry would push the margin back to double digits, 40-29, at the half.
- Coming out of the break, the WildCats scored seven of the first 10 points to make the score 43-36, but the Wasps went on a 13-6 run for a 56-42 advantage with 13:03 left to play.
- The Wasps would never lead by less than 10 for the remainder of the game, and pushed the margin to as much as 20 in the final two minutes, 90-70, before a 6-1 run by Randolph to close the game made the final score 91-76
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps had different players reach double figures in scoring led by junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.), who put up game-highs of 22 points and 12 rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) notched 15 points and seven boards while sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) added 11 points off the bench.
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) contributed 13 points and four rebounds to the cause while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) added 10 points and seven assists.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Andy Toe put up team-best 13 points and tacked on three rebounds and two blocks while Reid Jacoby added 11 points and eight assists.
- Ryan Fields scored 14 points and tallied seven rebounds as he went eight-for-10 from the free throw line. Drew Hayden notched 12 points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 30-for-59 (50.8%) for the game and was an even 50 percent (8-for-16) from three-point land. The Wasps hit 23-of-31 (74.2%) of their free throw attempts.
- Randolph finished with a shooting percentage of 46.0 for the game (23-for-50) and added seven threes while shooting 23-for-33 (69.7%) from the charity stripe.
- The Wasps dominated the glass, out-rebounding the WildCats by a 42-24 margin, including a 13-4 clip on the offensive side. E&H led 10-4 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led 30-28 on points in the paint and scored 19 points off 13 Randolph turnovers, compared to 14 points off turnovers by RC.
- Emory & Henry's next contest will be an ODAC matchup on the campus of Washington and Lee University. The Wasps and Generals will take the court on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.