EMORY, Va. – The Guilford College Men's Basketball Team (14-2, 7-0 ODAC) used a 19-4 run late in the second half to pull away from Emory & Henry College (10-6, 4-3 ODAC) Wednesday evening in a matchup between two of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference's top teams. The Quakers are currently receiving votes in the D3hoops.com Top 25 Poll.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 76, Emory & Henry 59
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-6, 4-3 ODAC); Guilford (14-2, 7-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry scored the first five points of the game, but Guilford responded with a 17-3 run which covered 4:50 to lead 20-11 at the 9:12 mark. Down 25-16, Wasps swarmed back into the contest with a 15-6 run to tie things up at 31-all with 2:05 to go before the break.
- Guilford would score the final five points of the opening half to lead 36-31 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the locker room, the two teams went back and forth for the opening seven minutes of the second half. The Quakers went on an 8-2 run over a span of 1:45 to get their first double-digit advantage of the contest, 53-42.
- Emory & Henry was able to draw the margin back to four (57-53) with 8:00 remaining, but Guilford took control and put up a 19-4 run which covered nearly six minutes for a 76-57 advantage. The Wasps would score the last bucket of the contest, making the final score 76-59.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps saw three players score 12 points on the evening led by junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) with 12 points and five rebounds.
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) had 12 points on four three-pointers, three assists and two steals while sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) added 12 points and two boards off the bench.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) put up nine points, five rebounds, three blocks and two steals while junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had seven points, two boards and two steals.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Carson Long led all players with 21 points, going five-for-nine from three-point range, while Dominique Henderson had 14 points.
- Kyler Gregory put up 10 points and six boards off the bench and Alston Thompson contributed nine points, 12 rebounds and two assists.
- Jarrod Rogers notched eight points, four assists, two rebounds and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 21-for-51 (41.2%) on the night and drilled 10 three-pointers. The Wasps were 87.5 percent from the free throw line (seven-for-eight).
- Guilford hit on 50.9 percent (27-for-53) of its field goal attempts and went 8-for-18 (44.4%) from beyond the arc. The Quakers were nearly perfect at the charity stripe, going 14-for-15 (93.3%) in the contest.
- GC held a 37-20 rebounding advantage over E&H, including 14-7 margin on the offensive glass. The Quakers led 11-4 on second-chance points.
- Guilford also dominated down low in the scoring column, scoring 32 points in the paint compared to 18 for Emory & Henry.
- Both teams were unselfish with the ball as GC assisted on 16 of its 27 baskets while E&H had 12 assists on 12 field goals.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Saturday as it travels to face off against Bridgewater College at 4:30 p.m.