BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (14-2, 7-0 ODAC) shot 54.5 percent for the game en route to a 89-67 win over Bridgewater College (5-12, 2-6 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 89, Bridgewater 67
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia – Nininger Hall
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-6, 5-3 ODAC); Bridgewater (5-12, 2-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled through three ties and three lead changes across the opening seven and a half minutes of play to an 11-all tie. The Wasps then went on a 16-5 run to lead 27-16 at the 8:23 mark of the first half.
- Emory & Henry put together another run 10-1 to lead by 20 points for the first time in the game, 42-22. The two runs combined for a 31-11 outburst of offense. Five points to close the half by Bridgewater made the score 42-27 at the break.
- Coming out the locker room, the Eagles put together a 13-4 run to close the gap down to six points (46-40) with 14:37 left to play. The two squads traded baskets back and forth for the next 6:29 for a 64-53 Emory & Henry lead.
- The Wasps then went on a 24-7 run for their largest advantage of the game, 87-60, with 1:21 left on the clock. Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) contributed nine points during that stretch alone as E&H put the game out of reach. BC would score seven of the game's final nine points to make the score 89-67.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Wynn led all players with 23 points and completed the double-double with a game-high 14 rebounds. He went a perfect eight-for-eight from the field and hit seven-of-eight free throw attempts.
- Freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 16 points, five assists and three steals off the bench, hitting on six-of-nine shots from the floor.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 15 points and sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) added 12 points on three-for-three shooting from long range.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) had nine points and seven boards while junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) contributed eight points and five rebounds
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Davrion Grier paced the Eagles with 19 points off the bench, hitting a trio of three-pointers while Kevin Saylor had 11 points, three rebounds two assists and two blocks.
- Bryce Boggs and Efe Balfour each registered eight points with Balfour going six-for-eight from the charity stripe.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot over 50 percent in both halves, finishing the game 30-for-55 (54.5%). The Wasps hit five-of-11 (45.5%) three-point attempts and were 80 percent (24-for-30) at the free throw line.
- Bridgewater hit on 43.4 percent (23-for-53) of its field goal attempts and connected on nine threes in the game. The Eagles went 12-for-17 (70.6%) on their attempts from the line.
- The Wasps dominated the glass, out-rebounding the Eagles by a 40-22 margin and a 15-9 pace on offensive boards. E&H held an 18-16 advantage on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led 38-24 on points in the paint and scored 21 points off 16 Bridgewater turnovers. The Eagles managed just seven points off 13 miscues by the Wasps.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Wednesday when it visits ODAC rival Roanoke College. Tipoff between the Wasps and Maroons is set for 7:30 p.m.