SALEM, Va. – The Roanoke College Men's Basketball Team (9-8, 4-5 ODAC) used a strong second half to pull away from visiting Emory & Henry College (11-7, 5-4 ODAC) in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference rivalry game Wednesday evening.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 77, Emory & Henry 65
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Cregger Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-7, 5-4 ODAC); Roanoke (9-8, 4-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams went back and forth through the opening 6:19 of the game to a 13-13 tie. Emory & Henry then put together a 10-2 run over the next 2:15 for a 23-15 advantage.
- RC responded to tie the game back at 27 points apiece and would go on to lead by as many as six (41-35) in the opening half. Emory & Henry cut the deficit to one at 41-40 going into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Maroons pushed their advantage to 56-47 with 14:09 on the clock but the Wasps countered with a barrage of three-point baskets to tie the contest at 59-all five minutes later. E&H sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) was responsible for three triples during the span.
- Emory & Henry went cold from the field and Roanoke took control, leading by six points with 3:36 remaining. The Wasps were able to get within four (69-65) in the final two minutes of play, but the final eight points of the game went to the Maroons as they hit six-of-seven free throws down the stretch to win, 77-65.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) put up 12 points and four rebounds to pace the Wasps while sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) added 12 points and three boards off the bench.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 11 points and six rebounds while Conley added a pair of free throws to his three-pointers to finish with 11 points and four rebounds.
- Senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) notched nine points, three rebounds and five assists while sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a game-high 11 rebounds.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- John Fitchett led all players with 19 points, going six-for-10 from the field and a perfect four-for-four from three-point range.
- Caleb Jordan and C.J. Miles each finished with 17 points and five rebounds while Miles tacked on three assists and three steals.
- John Caldwell recorded 16 points and five rebounds as well for the Maroons.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 24-for-58 (41.4%) for the game, and hit eight three-pointers. The Wasps made the most of their limited trips to the free throw line, finishing at 90 percent (9-for-10).
- Roanoke shot 42.4 percent (25-for-59) from the field, but made 11 three-pointers to outscore E&H by seven from long range. The Maroons reached the charity stripe 20 times and converted 80 percent of their attempts for 16 points.
- The Wasps held a 40-31 rebounding advantage and a 9-6 lead on the offensive glass which translated to a favorable 10-5 margin on second-chance points.
- RC scored 11 points off 12 E&H turnovers while Emory & Henry managed just four points off Roanoke's four miscues.
- The Wasps proved to have the deeper bench, outscoring their counterparts, 27-1.
- Emory & Henry will host Hampden-Sydney College in another ODAC rivalry game on Saturday afternoon. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- The game will be the second of a doubleheader with the E&H women's team.
- Saturday will also be Alumni Day at Emory & Henry, and all basketball alums are cordially invited to return home for fellowship and great basketball at Bob Johnson Court.