LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (13-7, 7-4 ODAC) built a 16-point second-half lead and held on through a Lynchburg College (11-9, 6-5 ODAC) rally for an 84-77 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win Wednesday.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 84, Lynchburg 77
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia – Tuner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (13-7, 7-4 ODAC); Lynchburg (11-9, 6-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to an early 13-7 lead at the 12:52 mark of the first half and pushed its advantage to 30-19 thanks to a 9-0 run which covered 1:33 later in the period.
- The Wasps would go up by as much as 14 in the opening 20 minutes (42-28) and led 45-34 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the locker room, Emory & Henry continued to lead and had its biggest margin of the game with 13:47 to play, 54-38. The two squads traded baskets back and forth for the next 10 minutes with the Wasps holding a 77-64 advantage with 3:54 left on the clock.
- Lynchburg scored the next nine points to get within five points, 77-72, the closest the game had been since the score was 24-19 with 7:45 to go in the first half.
- The Wasps went five-for-six at the free throw line in the final 1:25 and held off a late charge from the Hornets to come away with the 84-77 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) led the way with 16 points, going seven-for-eight from the free throw line, and added five rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) had 14 points off the bench with a pair of three-pointers and three rebounds while junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) tacked on 13 points, six rebounds and two assists.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds while senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) tacked on nine points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) added eight points and three rebounds off the bench.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Connor Schroeder put up a game-high 21 points, as he stroked a quintet of three-pointers. Austin Wrighten had 16 points, four rebounds and three steals off the bench as well.
- Zack Burnett put up 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals while Jay Allen contributed 11 points and five boards.
- Lyndon White and Logan Seacrist had eight points each while White pulled down seven rebounds to lead the Hornets.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 27-for-60 (45%) from the floor, hitting four-of-20 (20%) of its three-point attempts. The Wasps shot 81.3 percent (26-for-32) from the free throw line, hitting 10 more buckets at the stripe than the Hornets attempted.
- Lynchburg made 44.6 percent (29-of-65) of its field goal attempts and found its rhythm from long range for a total of 10 three-pointers. The Hornets made only nine of their 16 (56.3%) free throw chances.
- E&H held a 47-30 rebounding advantage and pulled down 11 offensive boards. The Wasps translated that to an 11-3 lead on second-chance points.
- The Hornets squeaked ahead on both points in the paint, 32-30, and points off turnovers, 17-15.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Saturday for an ODAC doubleheader against Shenandoah University.
- Tipoff for the men's game will be at 3:00 p.m., following the women's contest at 1:00 p.m.
- The Wasps defeated the Hornets by a 109-76 score at Bob Johnson Court on Saturday, January 14.