WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (14-7, 8-4 ODAC) finished the game on a 17-2 run en route to a 67-63 win over Shenandoah University (8-13, 4-8 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. With the victory, the Wasps sweep the season series with the Hornets.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 67, Shenandoah 63
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Shingleton Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (14-7, 8-4 ODAC); Shenandoah (8-13, 4-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry started things off with a 7-3 lead in the opening moments of the game and held a 17-11 advantage with 13:59 on the clock.
- The Hornets' offense woke up and scored 11 straight points to go up by a 22-17 margin and pressed their lead to 37-20 with 2:12 before the break. SU's 26-3 overall outburst of offense covered 11:24 of the opening half.
- E&H would respond for the final 10 points of the period to close the gap to 37-30 at the intermission.
- Returning to the court, the squads traded baskets early before Emory & Henry went on an 8-1 run, trimming the margin down to 45-43 at the 13:16 mark of the half. Shenandoah surged back ahead, scoring nine in a row for its largest lead of the period, 59-48.
- Down by 11 with 4:30 to play, the Wasps put together their game-winning run, outscoring the Hornets 17-2 down the stretch, thanks to effective shooting down low, beyond the arc and at the free throw line. E&H took the lead for good, 64-63, with 1:36 remaining and hung on for the 67-63 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) led all players with 20 points, scoring 18 in the second half alone, and pulled down six rebounds.
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) had 16 points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals while sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) notched 11 points and five boards off the bench.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.), junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) and freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) each chipped in five points as Wynn led the team with seven rebounds and Molden had a game-high four assists.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Malcolm Clark posted a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Hornets while E.J. Baltimore contributed 10 points.
- Dalon McHugh had nine points and five rebounds off the bench while Kwa McDonald and Jonah Meredith tacked on seven points each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 43.1 percent (25-of-58) of its field goal attempts, including six shots from beyond the arc. The Wasps were efficient at the free throw line, going 11-for-15 (73.3%).
- Shenandoah shot just 23-for-58 (39.7%) with seven treys, but struggled at the charity stripe, making just 55.6 percent (10-for-18) of its chances. The Hornets missed four straight from the line in the closing minutes of the contest.
- E&H out-rebounded SU, 41-37, and held a 34-32 margin on points in the paint.
- The Hornets scored 19 points off 15 Wasp turnovers and led 12-4 on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry assisted on 14 of its 25 made baskets and forced 12 turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for an ODAC contest against Washington and Lee University at 7:00 p.m.
- The Wasps will honor the College's employees with their annual Faculty/Staff Appreciation Night during the game.
- In the first meeting between the E&H and W&L on Wednesday, January 11, the Generals earned a buzzer-beater 64-63 win at the Warner Center.