EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (15-7, 9-4 ODAC) shot 64 percent in the second half to earn a 75-59 win over Washington and Lee University (8-14, 4-9 ODAC) in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest Wednesday evening. The game also served as the Wasps' annual Faculty/Staff Appreciation Night.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 75, Washington and Lee 59
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-7, 9-4 ODAC); Washington and Lee (8-14, 4-9 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Washington and Lee jumped out to an 8-0 advantage at the 16:14 mark of the first half but a 21-4 run covering 7:32 by Emory & Henry put the Wasps up, 21-12, a lead they would never relinquish.
- The Generals closed the gap down to three points with 6:14 to go before the intermission, but E&H took a 32-25 margin into the locker room.
- The squads swapped baskets for the first six and a half minutes of the second half but a 7-0 scoring spurt by the Wasps extended the lead back to double digits (48-34) with 11:55 to play. W&L answered back with a 9-4 run to cut its deficit to nine, 52-43, but E&H pushed back to go up by 17 thanks to an 11-3 run.
- Emory & Henry would lead by as much as 19 down the stretch, cruising through the final 90 seconds for a 75-59 result and its fourth straight victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) put up a team-high 18 points on 8-for-10 shooting off the bench and added five rebounds, an assist and a block.
- Freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 17 points, three rebounds, three steals and two assists while sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) connected on a trio of three-pointers to contribute 14 points.
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) and junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) both added seven points as Shelor tacked on two rebounds, three assists and a block.
- Senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) put up six points, four rebounds, three assists and a steal.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Devin Kearns led the Generals with 18 points and three rebounds, hitting four three-pointers.
- Clayton Murtha added 13 points and five rebounds while Austin York put up seven points and two boards.
- Roy McMillian tacked on five points and a team-high six rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 52.7 percent (29-for-55) for the game including 18-for-28 (64.3%) in the second half. The Wasps made six three-pointers and went 11-for14 (78.6%) at the free throw line.
- Washington and Lee struggled all the way around, hitting just 21-of-59 (35.6%) of its field goal attempts and 61.1 percent (11-for-18) of its shots from the line. The Generals made six shots from long range.
- W&L out-rebounded E&H, 35-34, but the Wasps held a strong, 34-22 advantage on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry's bench provided a 49-20 lead over its counterpart from W&L, accounting for 65.3 percent of the squad's offense.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Bridgewater College in the second game of a doubleheader with the Wasps' women's team. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- In the first meeting between the Wasps and Eagles on Saturday, January 21, the Emory & Henry picked up an 89-67 win at Nininger Hall.