EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (16-7, 10-4 ODAC) earned its 10th Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year with an 86-60 victory over Bridgewater College (6-17, 3-11 ODAC) Saturday afternoon at home. It is the first time since the 2006-07 season that the Wasps have reached double-digit victories in league play.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 86, Bridgewater 60
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (16-7, 10-4 ODAC); Bridgewater (6-17, 3-11 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to a 12-4 lead with 13:57 to go in the first half. The Eagles closed the gap to 12-10 by scoring six straight points, but the Wasps responded to push the margin to 14 (31-17) with a 17-5 run.
- E&H would lead by as much as 15 (42-27) in the opening 20 minutes and took a 44-32 advantage into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps started things off with an 11-3 run for their first 20-point lead of the game (55-35) with 17:44 on the clock. Up by 20 later in the half, Emory & Henry scored nine in a row to go up, 70-41, its largest lead of the game.
- The closest the Eagles got the rest of the way was 23 as the Wasps cruised to the 86-60 win. The decisive victory allowed E&H to rest its starters in the closing minutes and allow its bench players to get some in-game action with the postseason approaching.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Five different players reached double figures in scoring for the Wasps led by junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) with 16 points on four-for-six shooting from three-point range.
- Senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) had 12 points, four assists and four steals while junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) put up 11 points and five rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 10 points and five rebounds while freshman guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) tacked on 10 points, four assists, two rebounds and two steals.
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) registered eight points, five rebounds and four assists.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Bryce Boggs put up 14 points and two rebounds while Kenneth Turner chipped in 12 points and two rebounds off the bench.
- Efe Balfour had seven points and a team-high five rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 34-for-60 (56.7%) from the floor, hitting eight three-pointers on the afternoon. The Wasps shot 83.3 percent (10-for-12) at the free throw line.
- Bridgewater hit 40.8 percent (20-for-49) of its field goal attempts and made six shots from long range. The Eagles went just 14-for-22 (63.3%) from the charity stripe.
- The Wasps held a 32-27 rebounding advantage and outscored the Eagles by a 2-1 margin, 48-24, on points in the paint.
- E&H managed a 25-7 lead on points off turnovers, taking full advantage of BC's 18 miscues in the game.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Wednesday for a rematch with league-leading Guilford College. Tipoff is set for 7:00 p.m.
- The first meeting between two teams on Wednesday, January 18 saw the Quakers claim a 76-59 win.