GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (17-7, 11-4 ODAC) picked up a marquee win and avenged a mid-January loss on Wednesday evening, defeating Guilford College (19-5, 12-3 ODAC) by a 65-60 score in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The Quakers came into the game leading both the ODAC and the NCAA Division III South Region while the Wasps are third in the league and eighth in the region.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 65, Guilford 60
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – Ragan-Brown Field House
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-7, 11-4 ODAC); Guilford (19-5, 12-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Guilford built a 12-2 lead at the 13:23 mark of the first half but E&H went on a 16-4 run over the next 2:48 to go up 18-16. The squads traded baskets for the remainder of the half for a total of five lead changes before the Wasps took a 30-28 advantage into the break.
- The Quakers started the second period with six straight points to regain the lead, 34-30, but five in a row for Emory & Henry flipped the score back to 35-34 in its favor with 15:53 on the clock.
- GC and E&H battled through three ties and five lead changes over a period of 7:49 midway through the half. An 8-0 run by the Wasps gave them a 48-42 advantage which was extended to eight (57-49) with 2:03 left to play.
- Guilford got to within three points twice in the final minute of the game, but Emory & Henry hit 12 of its final 14 free throws down the stretch to seal the 65-60 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) led the Wasps with 16 points and five rebounds, going a perfect six-for-six from the free throw line.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) put up 12 points, five boards and three assists off the bench while junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) and sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) had nine points apiece.
- Senior guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.) tacked on eight points, three rebounds and three assists while junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) added three points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Carson Long led all players with 17 points, hitting a quintet of three-pointers, to go along with four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Jarrod Rogers had 10 points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals while Marcus Curry contributed seven points and five boards off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 21-for-52 (40.4%) from field and hit six three-pointers, but a 17-for-21 (81%) performance at the line proved to be key in the Wasps' victory.
- Guilford went 37.7 percent (20-for-53) on the evening with nine treys but struggled at the charity stripe, making just 50 percent (11-for-22) of its chances.
- The Wasps held a 37-35 rebounding advantage, but the Quakers won the battle for second-chance points, 11-6.
- E&H scored 11 points off 11 turnovers by GC and edged the Quakers by an 18-16 margin on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will close out the regular season on Saturday when it hosts Eastern Mennonite University at 2:00 p.m.
- It will be the first meeting between the Wasps and Royals this year.
- E&H will also honor its three seniors prior to the start of the game.