EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (18-7, 12-4 ODAC) made it seven wins in a row to wrap up the regular season as it defeated Eastern Mennonite University (10-15, 4-12 ODAC) by a 97-75 score Saturday in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup. The Wasps honored their three seniors: guard Ryan Gravley (Austinville, Va.), forward Brandon Self (Norfolk, Va.) and guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) prior to the start of the game.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 97, Eastern Mennonite 75
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-7, 12-4 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (10-15, 4-12 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry led for the entirety of the game and opened up a 7-0 lead to start the game. The Wasps went on to extend their margin 22-5 at the 11:47 mark of the half.
- The Royals trimmed the deficit down to 11 (24-13) with an 8-2 run, but E&H responded with a 13-2 scoring spurt later for a 50-25 advantage and would lead 55-34 at the break.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps built their lead to 68-42 with 15:07 left to go but the Royals scored the next 11 straight to close the gap to 15 (68-53).
- Emory & Henry pushed its advantage back above 20 points with 11:16 to play and would maintain control for the rest of the contest, cruising to a 97-75 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) put up a career-high 24 points, going 10-for-13 from the field and 2-for-3 from beyond the arc.
- Junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 18 points, hitting a quartet of three-pointers and adding five rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Gravley had 12 points, which came from four three-pointers, and five assists while Turner tacked on 12 points and eight assists.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) had eight points off the bench while sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) contributed a game-high 10 rebounds, four points, two assists and two blocks.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Jerome Jones led the Royals with 19 points, two rebounds and two assists off the bench while Xavier McCants put up 12 points, two boards and two assists.
- Darius Johnson pitched in 11 points while RaShawn Latimer went for 10 points. Josh Good had a team-high six rebounds as well.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 13 three-pointers on the afternoon and shot 55.7 percent (39-for-70) from the floor. The Wasps made six of their nine (66.7%) of their free throw attempts as well.
- Eastern Mennonite made 26-of-56 (46.4%) field goal attempts with eight triples. The Royals went to the line 19 times, coming away with 15 points (78.9%).
- E&H held a 38-26 rebounding margin and outscored EMU 12-5 on second-chance points.
- The Wasps put up a 42-32 lead on points in the paint while the Royals edged ahead 19-16 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry assisted on 23 of its 39 field goals for a 59% assist rating.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the Quarterfinals of the 2017 ODAC Tournament on Thursday at the Salem Civic Center.
- The pairings for the tournament will be released late Saturday evening.