SALEM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (19-7, 12-4 ODAC) used a 16-0 run midway through the first half to build a 20-point lead on its way to an 81-62 victory over Roanoke College (15-11, 9-7 ODAC) Thursday night in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals.
FINAL SCORE – #3 Emory & Henry 81, #6 Roanoke 62
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Salem Civic Center
RECORDS – #3 Emory & Henry (19-7, 12-4 ODAC); #6 Roanoke (15-11, 9-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Both teams started off slowly, adjusting to the surroundings of the Civic Center, with Roanoke taking an early 5-2 lead. Emory & Henry would tie the game, 9-9 with 14:15 on the clock.
- Up by a 14-13 score later in the half, the Wasps went on a 24-5 run covering 5:34, which included 16-straight, to build a 38-18 lead with 4:01 to go before the break. E&H would lead 42-25 at the intermission.
- Returning from the locker room, the Wasps started the second half with an 11-0 run to push their advantage to 28 points (53-25). Roanoke would get no closer than 19 until there was 2:12 left to go in the game when it scored seven in a row to cut the margin to 79-62.
- E&H put an exclamation point on the victory with a dunk by sophomore forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) in the closing minute for the 81-62 final score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Wynn led the way with a double-double putting up 14 points and pulling down 14 rebounds.
- Junior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) had 11 points and six rebounds, hitting all seven of his free throw attempts while junior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) added 11 points on a trio of three pointers.
- Four different players had nine points for the Wasps including senior guard Myles Turner (Richmond, Va.) with nine points, six rebounds, six assists and three steals.
- Sophomore forward Aaron Ferguson (Princeton, W.Va.) had nine points and seven rebounds while senior forward Brandon Self (Norfolk, Va.) added nine points and six rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Clif Conley (Galax, Va.) hit three treys for nine points on the night.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- C.J. Miles put up 17 points and four assists to lead the Maroons while John Caldwell put up 14 points and four boards.
- John Fitchett contributed eight points and seven rebounds while Caleb Jordan and Josh Freund tacked on eight each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 60.9 percent (14-for-23) in the second half and finished the game 29-for-54 (53.7%). The Wasps hit eight threes and were 15-for-17 (88.2%) from the free throw line.
- Roanoke made just 36.9 percent (24-for-65) of its field goal attempts and went 7-for-22 (31.8%) from long range. The Maroons only reached the charity stripe eight times, but converted on seven of them (87.5%).
- E&H dominated the boards, 44-24, and outscored RC by a 30-16 margin.
- The Wasps led 15-2 on second-chance points and their bench outscored the Maroons', 31-15.
- Emory & Henry earns a postseason win for the second year in a row and defeats Roanoke in the ODAC Tournament for the first time since 1990.
- Emory & Henry will take on seventh-seeded Washington and Lee University in the ODAC Tournament Semifinals on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
- The Generals defeated the Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets by a 78-67 margin on Thursday in the quarterfinals.