FERRUM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (4-0, 0-0 ODAC) remained perfect on the year with a 85-65 non-conference win over Ferrum College (1-3, 0-0 USA South) Wednesday evening on the road. The Wasps' victory marked the first over the Panthers since November 30, 2002, a 97-90 win at home.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 85, Ferrum 65
LOCATION – Ferrum, Virginia
VENUE – Swartz Gym
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-0, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (1-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Ferrum jumped out to a 12-7 advantage at the 17:15 mark of the first half but a 7-1 run by Emory & Henry gave the Wasps their first lead, 14-13, less than two minutes later.
- A 10-2 run by E&H later in the half made it a six-point game (24-18), and the Wasps took a 38-42 cushion into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry opened the half on a 12-3 run to go up 54-41 with 17:20 on the clock. The Panthers closed the gap down to seven (55-48), but the Wasps responded by extending the margin to 65-50 midway through the period.
- FC put together a 10-1 run covering 2:32 to get the score to 66-60 with just under eight to go, but E&H closed the game on a 19-5 run, including nine of the last 11, for the 85-65 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up a game-high 27 points on 8-for-13 shooting with four three-pointers, and added four rebounds.
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) continued his string of double-doubles with 20 points and 12 boards while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted 18 points and 17 rebounds for a double-double of his own.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) had nine points, two rebounds and three assists while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) added 12 assists and four rebounds.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Josh Dudley paced the Panthers with 25 points, 15 rebounds and three assists, hitting 10-of-14 field goal attempts.
- D'Andre Mullen and Marcus Huff went for 11 points and five boards each with Mullen adding five assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 42.3 percent (30-of-71) of its field goal attempts adding seven three-pointers and going 18-for-24 (75%) at the free throw line.
- Ferrum went 23-for-55 (41.8%) from the floor with five threes and made 14-of-20 (70%) of its attempts from the stripe.
- E&H posted a massive 50-31 rebounding advantage with a 19-4 margin on the offensive glass. The Wasps used that to come away with 18 second-chance points and also led 26-18 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry scored 13 points off 10 Ferrum turnovers while the Panthers managed just six points off the Wasps' six miscues.
- Emory & Henry will open Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Saturday when it visits Shenandoah University in what will be a doubleheader between the Wasps and Hornets.
- Tipoff for the men's game is set for 2:00 p.m., while the women's game will begin at 4:30 p.m.