GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (11-1, 3-0 ODAC) took control early and led wire-to-wire for a 95-77 win over Guilford College (5-7, 1-2 ODAC) Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The contest was a rematch of the 2017 ODAC Tournament Championship game and saw the Wasps remain atop the league standings.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 95, Guilford 77
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – Ragan-Brown Field House
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-1, 3-0 ODAC); Guilford (5-7, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 16-5 lead at the 15:25 mark of the first half and pushed its advantage to 21-8 with just under 14 minutes on the clock.
- Guilford trimmed the deficit to five (33-28) with a 20-12 scoring run but E&H responded with an 11-3 run to go back up by double digits. The Wasps would lead 49-36 at the intermission.
- The squads traded baskets for the first 11 minutes of the second half as the margin fluctuated between a 14- and 19-point Emory & Henry lead. Up 73-59 with 8:56 to play, the Wasps went on a 17-5 run covering 4:45 for their biggest lead of the contest, 60-94.
- E&H cruised to the 18-point, 95-77 victory, allowing several bench players to see some valuable conference playing time in the final four minutes of the game..
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Emory & Henry saw six players reach double figures in scoring led by sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) with 21 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a double-double with 16 points and 15 rebounds as he went 8-for-10 at the free throw line.
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) put up 14 points and seven boards while senior John Shelor (Giles, Va.), junior Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) and freshman Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) each added 11 points with Suggs dishing out eight assists.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Kyler Gregory went for 16 points and six rebounds off the bench while Marcus Curry added 14 points.
- Caron Long had nine points while Joah Logan and Will Leckonby put up eight markers each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 32-of-61 (52.5%) of its field goal attempts, and blistered the net from long range, connecting on 13 three-point baskets. The Wasps were also 75 percent (18-of-24) from the charity stripe.
- Guilford shot 51.9 percent (28-of-54) for the game with six threes but struggled at the line, hitting only 15-of-29 (51.7%) of its free throws.
- Emory & Henry held a 38-28 rebounding advantage and a 17-12 margin on second-chance points.
- GC managed a 21-18 lead on points off turnovers, forcing E&H into 14 miscues.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday to host Virginia Wesleyan University in an ODAC showdown.
- Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.