EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (12-1, 4-0 ODAC) picked up a key Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Virginia Wesleyan University (9-4, 3-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon at home by an 89-83 margin. Prior to the start of the contest, the Wasps honored senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) as the 15th player in program history to join the 1,000-point club.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 89, Virginia Wesleyan 83
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-1, 4-0 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (9-4, 3-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to a 13-4 advantage thanks to 9-0 run early in the first half, but Virginia Wesleyan responded to take a 24-20 lead thanks to a 20-7 scoring spurt.
- The squads went back and forth for the remainder of the opening 20 minutes with E&H scoring the final four points for a 44-41 margin at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps extended their advantage to seven (48-41) at the 18:15 mark of the half. The Marlins quickly cut the deficit to 48-46 but Emory & Henry began to rebuild its lead.
- A 7-0 run by E&H midway through the half pushed its lead to 65-55 with 9:12 to go. VWU made a final surge with less than three minutes to play, but Emory & Henry hit all eight of its free throws in the final minute to seal the 89-83 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Shelor notched a game-high 23 points, going 8-for-12 from the field, and added four rebounds while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) registered 22 points, four boards and three steals off the bench.
- Sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 14 points, connecting on 12-of-12 free throw attempts, three rebounds and three assists.
- Junior guard Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) contributed eight points, nine rebounds and two blocks while junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) pitched in nine points and three boards.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Lamont Steward paced the Marlins with a double-double, putting up 19 points and 12 rebounds while Corey Pelham had 16 points.
- Keijon Honore and Tyree Golston notched 11 points apiece.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 27-for-57 (47.4%) from the field with a trio of three-pointers. The Wasps were also efficient at the line, hitting 80 percent (32-of-40) of their attempts.
- Virginia Wesleyan made 36.8 percent (25-of-68) of its shots, drilling 11 threes in the process. The Marlins got 22 points at the charity stripe, hitting 84.6 percent of their chances.
- E&H held a 41-37 rebounding advantage and outscored VWU 13-12 on second-chance points.
- The Wasps led 42-26 on points in the paint, and scored 12 points on the fast break.
- Virginia Wesleyan posted a 19-16 margin on points off turnovers as both teams committed 13 errors on the afternoon.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Tuesday when it hosts Roanoke College in an ODAC contest beginning at 7:00 p.m.