LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Lynchburg College Men's Basketball Team (13-7, 6-5 ODAC) battled No. 19 Emory & Henry College (18-3, 10-2 ODAC) through 13 ties and 16 lead changes to escape with an 81-79 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Lynchburg 81, No. 19 Emory & Henry 79
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-3, 10-2 ODAC); Lynchburg (11-10, 5-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled back and forth all afternoon with the largest lead of the game coming as a 19-11 margin by Emory & Henry at the 12:47 mark of the opening half.
- Lynchburg went on 12-2 run to go up 23-21 with 8:11 on the clock but the Wasps responded for a 31-27 lead four and a half minutes later. E&H would carry a 36-35 lead into the break.
- Returning to action, the Hornets started the second half on a 13-6 run to lead 48-42 with 17:34 on the clock. Emory & Henry quickly trimmed the lead to one but was unable to go back ahead.
- The Wasps stayed on the doorstep, finally going up 74-71 on a three-pointer by sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) with 2:37 to play. Emory & Henry extended the margin all the way to 79-71 but Lynchburg stormed back to finish the game on a 10-0 run for the 81-79 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) scored a team-high 18 points and added four rebounds and three assists.
- Spencer had 17 points, 12 rebounds and three assists for a double-double while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted a double-double of his own with 15 points and 10 rebounds, going 7-for-8 from the field.
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up 11 points, two rebounds and two assists while freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) contributed 11 points, two rebounds, three assists and three steals.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Connor Schroeder led all players with 20 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers while Logan Seacrist had 15 points of his own with three triples.
- Austin Wrighten put up 14 points, seven rebounds and two steals while Devante' Young added 10 points, four assists and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 26-of-58 (44.8%) of its field goal attempts with seven three-pointers. The Wasps were 80 percent (20-of-25) at the free throw line.
- Lynchburg was 44.1 percent (30-for-68) from the floor with 11 makes from long range. The Hornets made 10-of-17 (58.8%) of their attempts from the charity stripe.
- E&H held a 44-32 rebounding advantage including 13-10 margin on the offensive boards. The Wasps also led, 15-13, on second-chance points.
- LC scored 31 points off 21 Emory & Henry turnovers, while committing just 13 miscues of its own.
- The Wasps posted a 30-28 advantage on points in the paint, but the Hornets led 33-21 on three-point scoring.
- No. 19 Emory & Henry returns home on Wednesday to take on Guilford College at 7:00 p.m.
- The Wasps defeated the Quakers, 95-77, on the road on Wednesday, January 3.